Show off your Red sex-links!! [[pictures included]] !! (:

Pics
if you enlarge the coop picture you can see my crazy toy poodle...he has gimpy back legs and walks on his front leg like a circus dog sometimes. :)

Here's a few pic of my 16 week old crew.....countdown to egg #1 is underway!!!!

Wilma has the largest comb in the group.

nesting boxes waiting occupation

The coop

thumbsup.gif

Awwww poor dog lol I had a cat with three legs! They are troopers... Beautiful coop. I'm jealous. Mine live in the breezeway between the garage and sun porch, perch on a sawhorse and lay eggs in a Rubbermaid box! Which now she lays it on the couch in the garage. They're redneck chickens :) and proud

I recently redid my flock to where when I hatch eggs the only possibilities on chicks that I'll get are black sex link, red sex link or RIR.

My problem is I just hatched out my first chicks from my new flock and can't tell the difference between my RIR and red sex link. :/

Does anyone have pictures of their red sex links (RIR roo x Delaware) when they were about a week old? Also, pictures of them when they were older. I thought the males were supposed to be white, but mine are bright yellow...

Or, any ideas on how to tell them apart?

Thanks!!

I recently redid my flock to where when I hatch eggs the only possibilities on chicks that I'll get are black sex link, red sex link or RIR. My problem is I just hatched out my first chicks from my new flock and can't tell the difference between my RIR and red sex link. :/ Does anyone have pictures of their red sex links (RIR roo x Delaware) when they were about a week old? Also, pictures of them when they were older. I thought the males were supposed to be white, but mine are bright yellow... Or, any ideas on how to tell them apart? Thanks!!

It is almost impossible to see the differance as the RIR/Del cross the females will look like the RIR father and the males will look like the Delaware mothers. I have done this cross. For a RSL I use a RIR male and RIW females. I'll look for some pictures today.

Last edited:
Here are some pictures of my crosses. The lighter chicks are the males.

These are 4 females from my RIR/Del cross.

There are crosses in this pen.

Last edited:
So would any red sex link cross with a RIR roo cause the females to look just like a rhode island or is there a cross that would make them look less like a rhode island at least when they're older?

I really like my pure rhode islands and like the idea of sex link chicks, but I don't think my idea is working out quite like I had hoped. I was hoping to at some point be able to tell the difference between my red sex links and RIR hens.

Ideas on a cross that might work better for me? Keeping in mind my roosters are RIR and I don't wish to get rid of them.

So would any red sex link cross with a RIR roo cause the females to look just like a rhode island or is there a cross that would make them look less like a rhode island at least when they're older?

I really like my pure rhode islands and like the idea of sex link chicks, but I don't think my idea is working out quite like I had hoped. I was hoping to at some point be able to tell the difference between my red sex links and RIR hens.

Ideas on a cross that might work better for me? Keeping in mind my roosters are RIR and I don't wish to get rid of them.

Both Red and Black Sex-Links use a red male for the father. Either a Rhode Island Red or a New Hampshire may be used.

Black Sex-Links are produced using a Barred Rock as the mother. Both sexes hatch out black, but the males have a white dot on their heads. Pullets feather out black with some red in neck feathers. Males feather out with the Barred Rock pattern along with a few red feathers. Black Sex-Links are often referred to as Rock Reds.

Red Sex-Links are the result of various crosses. White Rocks with the silver factor (the dominant white gene would produce all white offspring) are crossed with a New Hampshire male to produce the Golden Comet. Silver Laced Wyandotte crossed with New Hampshire gives the Cinnamon Queen. Two other crosses are obtained with Rhode Island White x Rhode Island Red, and Delaware x Production Red or Rhode Island Red. These two crosses are simply called Red Sex-Links. Males hatch out white and, depending on the cross, feather out to pure white or with some black feathering. Females hatch out buff or red also depending on cross, and they feather out in one of three ways.

Buff with white or tinted undercolor (such as Golden Comet, Rhode Island Red x Rhode Island White)
Red with White or tinted undercolor (Cinnamon Queen)
Red with Red undercolor (Delaware x Production Red or Rhode Island Red) (In this color pattern it is almost impossible to distinguish daughters' color from father's color.)

I hope this gives you some ideas. Good luck and have fun...

Red Sex Links using RIR males and RIW females. This was an experiment I did. Then I did a 2nd, 3rd and 4th generation to see what I would get from this cross.

Back
Top Bottom