Show off your Red sex-links!! [[pictures included]] !! (:

Pics

My RSL, Sunny. She's my star layer :) And the most attitude of all!

'Extreme laying' depends on their diet. Red sex links tend to lay prolifically in the first 2 years and then slow down. I've lost one hen to egg binding in the past but aside from that I've only had to remove one stuck egg. I'm sure yours won't die within a year, given they don't contract a disease, but they probably won't live as long as pure heritage breeds.

I have some 5 year old RSL's they are still laying pretty well. My DH had me separate some of the older girls to see how well they were laying. I was really surprised. I actually got quite a few eggs from them. I would estimate that they layed 4 to 5 eggs each a week. My birds do get high protein feed.

I have some 5 year old RSL's they are still laying pretty well. My DH had me separate some of the older girls to see how well they were laying. I was really surprised. I actually got quite a few eggs from them. I would estimate that they layed 4 to 5 eggs each a week.  My birds do get high protein feed.

That's so great to hear! I don't even care if they only lay for a couple of years, I just hope they can live long and healthy lives :)

You obviously love your chickens!
smile.png

I've had red sex links before, and love them. Yours are sure to lay for a long time yet, and when they do stop laying, they're sure to still have a great life with you.

You obviously love your chickens! :)    
I've had red sex links before, and love them.  Yours are sure to lay for a long time yet, and when they do stop laying, they're sure to still have a great life with you. 

LOL I do love my chickens more than I ever expected I would! I know it's a little weird but they're such big personalities in such little bodies, they just crack me up and make me smile no matter what mood I'm in :)

A friend of mine has several red star hens and two roosters that he got from a hatchery. He has given me eggs to incubate. When these hatch, will they be a true red star? Didn't know because they are a hybrid. Also I have heard several different breeds that make the hybrid red star. What are the two best breeds?

A friend of mine has several red star hens and two roosters that he got from a hatchery. He has given me eggs to incubate. When these hatch, will they be a true red star? Didn't know because they are a hybrid. Also I have heard several different breeds that make the hybrid red star. What are the two best breeds?
Once bred sex links are no longer sex linked. You then have a backyard mix. There are many combos available to make a sex link bird. Search the forum for sex link breeds. Someone made a great article on many of them. It also explains what each generation has for a mix.

Today one of my hens had a close call. She just barely managed to lay a huge shell-less egg and when I broke it, it was ALL yolk and no white. Yuck. Thank goodness she recovered well.

my 6 Gold Sex links that I got from ideal is starting to lay larger eggs now at 5 months old than my 1 yr old RIR and BR are. :) some are almost as large as my WH duck eggs!

Back
Top Bottom