Show off your roosters

Discussion in 'Online Poultry Show' started by Nelson-90, Aug 1, 2012.

1. 4hmomwyo

4hmomwyo New Egg

Apr 11, 2011
    [​IMG]
    This is a first Generation Cross Roo...Buff Orp Roo over Barred Rock Hens...They came out sex linked.

[​IMG]
    This is one of the 2nd Generation Crosses...from the Roo above over the 1st Generation hens of the same breeding...non-sex-linked.

[​IMG]
    This is the other 2nd Generation Cross Roo...same mixture as above.

[​IMG]
    This is one of my daughter's Standard Golden Laced Cochin Roos...she has 3 of them!

2. KYTinpusher

KYTinpusher Master Enabler

Sep 3, 2011
    Northern KY
    That is plenty of room for 2 roosters if you have enough ladies that they are not overbreeding them. I have 3 roosters in with 15 hens in about the same size area. I would wait a couple of more weeks, then if you are able, put the young ones in a separate area within or next to the run with your current flock so that they can see each other and get used to each other for a week or two. If you are able, start by letting them range together during the day for a little bit and just watch them closely at first. Try to have some hiding areas for the young ones. Hens are often worse than roosters when adding new young ones. There will be some sparring at first as they nail down the pecking order. Be prepared for it and only intervene if it gets severe. A little blood from the comb or wattles is to be expected. The faster you let them work things out their way, the faster you will have a peaceful chicken yard with 2 roosters.

3. uglychickens

uglychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2013
    HERE!!
    I'm gonna stop posting pics of my Roos... I got the worst luck :( everytime I post them on BYC within a day their either injured or dead! STP now has a serious gash to the back of his neck it's all the way down to the meat... Don't know how he got it but he won't let anything stay on to cover it!! Grrrr

4. horsesnchkns

horsesnchkns Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2013
    San Antonio, Texas
    Thank you KYTinpusher! I have 5 newly laying hens with King, and will have 5 pullets with the new rooster... I do have them together but separated, (a small pen inside the big pen) and we let 1 baby out last week and she got pecked on. It's my daughter's fave so she didn't let much happen. I will take your advice.. Thank you!

And I'm sorry uglychickens about your roosters - I hope your rooster with the gash makes it... I know how loved these roosters can be! Good Luck!

5. thechooks22

thechooks22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2013
    Queensland, Australia
    Erik Columbian wyandotte
    [​IMG]

6. Frizzle13

Frizzle13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2012
    Looks confused

7. CarolinaHen

CarolinaHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2013
    South Carolina
    He is stunning! [​IMG]

8. Jharper

Jharper Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2012
    Tifton, Ga
    Thanks!

9. elmtree

elmtree Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2013
    Derry,NH
    Omg!! I'm so sorry. I too adore my boys and would be heartbroken. When my hen had an infected ear I used raw honey, oregano oil, and garlic and made a poultice. I would just rub it on. It should keep infection away and help it heal quickly. I just look at the pics now cause no one ever comments on my pics lol

10. elmtree

elmtree Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2013
    Derry,NH
    He's so pretty!! Ever since I got chickens I've wanted a NN. They are so unique looking.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by