Show off your roosters

Last edited:
Don't worry, most people aren't familiar with the phrase. It hasn't been a common term (at least in America) for well over half a century. A capon is a castrated cockerel (young rooster/immature cock). The process is done surgically by a self taught caponizer, usually the breeder/owner of the birds. Capons are prized for their fine meat qualities and large size, and for their docility and lack of typical - sometimes unwanted - male behaviors such as mating, crowing, and fighting.

Caponing can be illegal and considered animal torture, please check your local law before doing it.

Front and profile - Brahma cross (Mother americana?)

Another Brahma cross (mother black australorp?)

Father Roo - a bit dirty today.

The young roos hang out together and look like they belong in a Rock Band!

Caponing can be illegal and considered animal torture, please check your local law before doing it.

I'm aware of the local law. The only place caponizing is illegal is the UK. In America there are no laws against it, actually in America there are essentially no animal cruelty laws protecting poultry at all. That's how the big industrial farms get away with what they do.

I'm aware of the local law. The only place caponizing is illegal is the UK. In America there are no laws against it, actually in America there are essentially no animal cruelty laws protecting poultry at all. That's how the big industrial farms get away with what they do.

Actually, my post was aimed more to people new to caponing as I'm sure you know the law as you have done it before. It is not true that it is only illegal in UK, most of western european countries have banned caponing,main exception is France where they have big industry with capons, especially poulle de bresse which are sold at premium price.

Back
Top Bottom