Show off your roosters

I was told this was a Rhode Island but he has a lot of white markings.. is this normal or is he mixed with something?

on the left
He sure has a long neck. I think the mixed breeds have some neat coloring though, gives 'em some spice! I like the white one in the background too, looks like a yard ornament
tongue.png

ignore the ugly coop/run in the back I was very short on materials that week

Honestly, when we first got Francis, I was pretty against it. It was my mom that wanted him, she wanted to "breed purebred Easter Eggers." When we got him he was four months old, ugly as sin on a sandwich... he didn't even have a tail! It had been picked out by the pullets he was housed with! Oh and he was terrified... wouldn't let you near him.

Well... It's a been a few months since then... and I think my mom definitely had the right idea, cause he filled out real well. Fingers crossed he carries the blue egg gene so I can get some pretty blue eggin babies I put him and my BCM over my EE girls this spring...
He can't decide if he wants you to take a pic or not! Pretty roo!
Wyorp Rock, It's a Dominique Rooster
I sort of suspected that, but...I'm no good at guessing so I just ask. I do loved the barred birds, there is just something about them. When I got two PBR girls I wasn't sure how I would like them, but they are just beautiful, so maybe I'm prejudiced.
wink.png

He sure has a long neck. I think the mixed breeds have some neat coloring though, gives 'em some spice! I like the white one in the background too, looks like a yard ornament
tongue.png

I sort of suspected that, but...I'm no good at guessing so I just ask. I do loved the barred birds, there is just something about them. When I got two PBR girls I wasn't sure how I would like them, but they are just beautiful, so maybe I'm prejudiced.
wink.png
The Dominique and the PBR are pretty much the same in feather pattern and everything, but if you like the rose comb style, A Dominique is the way to go. :) And I felt the same about the looks of them, but I have 5 hens and 1 roo and they are absolutely beautiful.

Don't worry, most people aren't familiar with the phrase. It hasn't been a common term (at least in America) for well over half a century. A capon is a castrated cockerel (young rooster/immature cock). The process is done surgically by a self taught caponizer, usually the breeder/owner of the birds. Capons are prized for their fine meat qualities and large size, and for their docility and lack of typical - sometimes unwanted - male behaviors such as mating, crowing, and fighting.

Queen Misha, do u caponize? I have tried and often miss the "second one" or kill the bird trying. Theis summer I will begin again breeding meat birds and try again.

Last edited:
Caponing can be illegal and considered animal torture, please check your local law before doing it.

For real, I have never heard of it being illegal. As a child, all the chickens we ate were Capons. I remember drumsticks on chickens being so much larger. They were the standard before Cornish cross were produced.

OMGoodness ! I LOVE ur . . . . avatar ! Dean is so HANDSOME ! lmbo

Haha, isn't he? I just started rewatching season one this week and wow... he looked so YOUNG back then! He's still so pretty now but its amazing how different he looked back then.

Yep, he's much calmer now but still a little skittish!

Queen Misha, do u caponize? I have tried and often miss the "second one" or kill the bird trying. Theis summer I will begin again breeding meat birds and try again.

Yes, I caponize. My first four or five I did it all from one side but I ended up killing a bird that way, so I started going in from both sides. Besides one loss from infection a few weeks after the operation I haven't lossed any birds during Caponizing since then.

What tools were you using? I use the Nasco set and it is adequate but I have heard amazing things about the Chinese tools, they are apparently ten times the quality of American tools. There's a user on here who imports them a couple times and year and will let people order them, PocoPollo... I've seen pics of the tools and really you can see the difference in quality just looking at them. Maybe you would have better luck with a higher quality of tool?

I also found that putting on some quiet music helps me to focus... I put on classical music and it just kinda helps me concentrate.

The other thing I found... never stick the scalpel inside the bird itself! Scalpel is for the external cut only! Kits should come with a little slotted spoon, with a very small hook on the end... the hook is the best thing to use for cutting through the thin membranes just inside the bird, hook and tear

For real, I have never heard of it being illegal. As a child, all the chickens we ate were Capons. I remember drumsticks on chickens being so much larger. They were the standard before Cornish cross were produced.

I know it's illegal in the UK and apparently many European countries now, but maybe that's a somewhat recent occurence? Does anyone know when those laws were enacted?

It has been illegal in the netherlands at least since 2008.Also illegal in Belgium and Germany but don't know from when. What is illegal is the act of caponizing not the sale of caponized chickens. Therefore you can still get capon de bresse on the market for example, obviously imported from countries where it is still legal.
European countries have made a lot of progress on animal welfare protection. For example clipping puppy's ear is now illegal almost across EU.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom