Show off your roosters

Handsome guy! I think NH.
That's one pretty roo.
yippiechickie.gif

Are you using him for breeding?

Certainly will be! I'm interested in producing my own sex links for a while and will be using Roger to accomplish that task; assuming he has the necessary genetic makeup. I'll have my radar on for a source of RI White or Chantecler hatching eggs, chicks or pullets this spring so that I may have some sex link chicks running around in spring of 2018! Going to let my pullet Louise hatch out some chicks this spring if she decides she'd like to good broody again (found hidden and sitting on 20 eggs about 3 weeks ago) and make some observations of the chicks to see if they express any sex-linked traits. Sorry for the pullet pic!

I had notions of using Roger as a sire for the basis of a personalized flock that would be selectively bred over the years for winter hardiness, foraging ability, moderate broodiness and egg laying longevity but since having gotten him (and gotten attached to him) I've realized he doesn't make for a very good starting point and there's really no reason to reinvent the wheel when I could start with a more ideal breed of cockerel in a few years once he goes into retirement. This angle should give you a better idea of his overall body type.

Certainly will be! I'm interested in producing my own sex links for a while and will be using Roger to accomplish that task; assuming he has the necessary genetic makeup. I'll have my radar on for a source of RI White or Chantecler hatching eggs, chicks or pullets this spring so that I may have some sex link chicks running around in spring of 2018! Going to let my pullet Louise hatch out some chicks this spring if she decides she'd like to good broody again (found hidden and sitting on 20 eggs about 3 weeks ago) and make some observations of the chicks to see if they express any sex-linked traits. Sorry for the pullet pic!

I had notions of using Roger as a sire for the basis of a personalized flock that would be selectively bred over the years for winter hardiness, foraging ability, moderate broodiness and egg laying longevity but since having gotten him (and gotten attached to him) I've realized he doesn't make for a very good starting point and there's really no reason to reinvent the wheel when I could start with a more ideal breed of cockerel in a few years once he goes into retirement. This angle should give you a better idea of his overall body type.

For red sexlinks, he'll work as long as the hens are silver base color. Solid white hens aren't really recommended for red sexlinks.

For red sexlinks, he'll work as long as the hens are silver base color. Solid white hens aren't really recommended for red sexlinks.

Thanks for the tip @junebuggena ! This is probably getting a bit off topic and I may be able to find the answer elsewhere if I dug a bit but... Off the top of your head would a Silver Grey Dorking hen be suitable mother to create well-differentiated sex-linked offspring? I have a ready supply of fertile SGD hatching eggs from a friend that I could slip under a broody Louise.

Thanks for the tip @junebuggena ! This is probably getting a bit off topic and I may be able to find the answer elsewhere if I dug a bit but... Off the top of your head would a Silver Grey Dorking hen be suitable mother to create well-differentiated sex-linked offspring? I have a ready supply of fertile SGD hatching eggs from a friend that I could slip under a broody Louise.
It may be difficult to distinguish male from female at hatch with the partridge type down coloring. But once the feathers start coming in, within the first week, you should be able to sex reliably.

@junebuggena My two black sex-links from you lay the nicest green eggs a
very nice olive color most of what I have in the incubator is from them and
my other olive layers I get about 5 olive a day 4 blue 3 brown

Back
Top Bottom