Show off your small or cheap made coop

Thanks SportTees!

We've gotten a small run framed out and will be adding the wire for it tomorrow. The inside has one coat of paint and we intend to put another coat or two on the inside tomorrow as well. My DH said that maybe we should put a coat of paint on the outside, however, I'm not sure, since we only have interior paint instead of exterior paint and I don't know if it will be more of a pain in the long run. We only have white interior paint, what do you all think?

I'll try to take more pics tomorrow once we get the run finished.

This will be our "teen coop".

017557f6.jpg

ef0cfe18.jpg

built this sunday cost me around 15 bucks its going to house 5 teenagers

The link didn't work for me ?

old.gif

This is our first coop. It is built mainly from wood we had laying around. We did buy the roof material, wire and a piece of plywood. DH made the door from some shelf slides. He is currently making a 2nd coop from a wood box that he found at work. It along with about 20 pallets are left from a construction project in the building behind him. I will try and post some pictures of it.

I don't know what you call cheap...
This is my pool table conversion project. This is also my 3rd build. My "Swing Frame/A-Frame" was on page 2 and was my 2nd build. That one was cheap. Everything I had laying around except $2.00 in culled 2x3's. This one has a free rough cut 2x4 salvaged from a pallet (have another one to use, too), about $20 in 2x4's, $15 in hardware cloth, $10 in pneumatic tires, $11 in bolts/washes/nuts to attach the tires (I may have to put 4 tires on - I think it will be to heavy to move with only two) and I bought 3 sheets of cull 5/8" plywood for $30. I think I will only need 2 sheets. I still need to make the doors (hardware cloth and 2x2 frames), the nest boxes (2 on each side), the roosts and I am going to make PVC feeders accessible from the outside.

It is 8x3' and will house bantam breeding sets of up to 5 birds on each side. That will give them just over 2sq ft per bird. I will also be making removable runs out of 2x2's that will attach to the back of the pens. I am hoping to make a few of them for the "Cochin Condo" I built (the expensive 1st build). I also did this one smart, too. I will be able to tear it down into sections and load in the truck if I have to move from the property. I am getting smarter (and cheaper) with each build!

ETA: 800th post! YAY!​

Last edited:
The cheapest I could find to build my run and coop was with PVC and plastic zip ties for the run and fence pickets for the coop.Added the hen boxes later. Mother-in-law had a piece of plywood I used.

We built this tractor out of all scrap wood obtained for free. The largest out of pocket cost was hardware, like hinges, hasps and tires. That did add up more then we expected.

Pros
Easy to clean/acsess (we switched from pine shavings to compressed pine pellets. The pellets absorb well, and we use cat scoopers to remove the poo from the roost each day)
Works and functions well
So far has been predator proof
Ramp can be pulled up and locked at night if needed
In the winter there is a place for a light, and in the summer the light is switched out for a solar fan.
Cons
Very heavy! 2x4's are strong, but equal a lot of weight! My husband has to move it.

Mine was $4 for the two latches all the rest was repurposed. I did buy fencing and posts at $70 (I think) for 150' and 8 posts. Oh and the hay was $5.

Back
Top Bottom