Show quality Banty RIR?

bckyrdchknluvr

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 12, 2011
Hi, I'm hoping some experienced people can tell me if my Bantam RIR pullet is show quality or not. I got her at 2 days old from a very reputable breeder near me.

95708_quail_eggs_012.jpg

95708_quail_eggs_009.jpg

It depends on where you are showing her. Her comb is large and she appears to have some white in her earlobe. She is not the worst one I ever saw but would have trouble at a national show. Please dont be discouraged as Red bantams are very popular and there are a lot of real good ones.

She's not bad but the white in her face would be a concern but that can be from a number of things, [nutrition, worms, mites, stress, etc]
Although her surface color is nice her under color is very light and makes her look blotchy in color. The under color should be as close to the surface color as possible and go as far down the quill as possible also. I also see some fraying of the feathers, that could also be do to either nutrition or mites. If she has mites you can give her a good dusting of sevin dust and and keep up with them and see how the feather come back in after a good molt.

Like Dick said it depends on where your showing her, local show or fair she may do good but at a national show she is going to have some trouble.

Chris

Last edited:
Type looks OK, good tail set & wing carriage. I suspect the light colour in her fce if from being in production.
Her biggest defect [IMO] is feather quality. She has very narrow, stringy feathers. They should be wide, well rounded & overlapping. This is a very hard trait to breed out. I used a couple of females with this type of feather a number of years back because they had other qualities I wanted to preserve. Everything they produced was feathered the same way.
As others have said she'd do OK in limited competition but I wouldn't expect her to place in a deep class.

Thank you very much for all of your insight. Chris09, you're right, that's not her normal colour. We had a small lice issue, but took care of it last week. She also just started laying 4 days ago. She should be nice and healthy looking for the next show near here in spring. And no, I won't be showing her nationally, just local. Not a lot of entries for them in the last show that was on and it was a provincial. Nyreds, I'm not allowed Roo's where I am, so I won't be breeding any of my girls, lol. She's a pet more than a show animal anyway.

Back
Top Bottom