Show quality cochin hen or pet quality?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Moochie, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Moochie

Moochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    I have two black standard cochins and I'm wondering if they're good quality or just pet. These aren't recent pictures of one of the two, they're both going through a moult right now. Thank you for any opinions or advice.
    [​IMG]
    I'm thinking pet quality but I just wanna make sure..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Stupid poopy butt.. Lol..

2. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

id say pet. she isnt round enough and her tail is high. she dont have enough fluff. just my opinion.

3. Funky Feathers

Funky Feathers former Fattie

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    Pet, maybe breeder quality if you have a fabulous SQ Roo.

4. Moonlight Piano

Moonlight Piano Chillin' With My Peeps

I'd say pet, but she's not far from show, just my opinion [​IMG] .
    God bless,
    Tyler.

5. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    I'd say she's sort of middle of the road. I've never seen a hatchery large fowl Cochin that nice, they all seem to lack in the tail and foot feathering. I'm not an expert on Cochins, but I don't see any immediate disqualifications. That said, she's probably not going to win any national championships either, she'd probably do fine at small shows though.

6. Moochie

Moochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    Oh thank you.

Well that's good. I wish I had a good SQ rooster. Most of my chickens are mutts though, the cochins I mainly use during the spring months to hatch more layers or to hatch out mutts for fun. If a small show comes around I guess I could try to enter one of them if I have the time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by