show quality leghorn hen?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by archil, Jan 25, 2013.

1. archil

archil Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2012
    This is a repost because i think i posted this in the wrong place before

My mum has this lovely big white leghorn hen called Peeper
    We call her Peeper because when she was a chick she was the loudest thing, peeping all day and all night.
    She's the biggest girl in the coop and by far the most handsome.

[​IMG]
    I was wondering if they do shows for hens, and If Peeper would be show quality...
    She has such a lovely big floppy red comb, and wattles, and is a very sweet lady
    [​IMG][​IMG]

We had to take her to the vet today to get her scaly leg mite sorted out [note the skanky feet above] and while we were getting ready inside I took some pictures of her
    What do you guys think?

[​IMG]

also post pictures of your white leghorns too if you have any
    I love them and I feel like they're a bit under rated

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

She's very pretty, indeed! I like white LHs very much. Those in my flock are actually hatched from TRader Joe's fertile (eating) eggs from the refrigerated egg case in the store. Hatched them myself... Well, the Brinsea incubator did all the work... But they are my babies!

Excellent layers, of course. My Josie's comb flops over is such a cute, cosmopolitan way, like a red beret.

3. archil

Nov 6, 2012
    yes, in the first picture her comb is actually folded over the wrong way because its fun to pop it over, kind of in the same way you flip a dogs ears over [and of course back the right way] or pop the button on the metal top of a glass jar, but it does very much remind me of a beret when its flopping in it's usual way, especially from the back.
    Are yours relatively friendly? Peeper is and I know that they're usually one of the more skittish types, we've had them before and they were just, not having any of us anywhere near them.

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Mine will eat out of my hand at Treat Time, but otherwise do not want to be picked up. They are self-sure and curious and actually have some status in the flock. Only the most senior hens can peck 'em out of their way at the feeders, waterers, or my hands full of BOSS (Black Oil Sunflower Seed).

5. archil

Nov 6, 2012
    Yeah she'll eat from us but wont let us touch her. In these photos she was a bit freaked out and stressed i think, so was a little less jumpy. Peeper is at the top of the pecking order but doesn't really boss the others around much unless they do something quite rude like steal food from right under her nose. She sleeps the highest on the perch and always gets the good treats before anyone else can push their way in.

6. RhodeRunner

RhodeRunner Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Ashtabula, Ohio
    Scally mites has a very basic home solution, which is oil. Rub some cooking oil on those legs, and it will suffocate the mites.

Peeper looks like a basic hatchery leghorn to me. However, I don't raise Leghorns, and know very little when it comes to their version of the APA Standard.

7. archil

Nov 6, 2012
    Yeah, her legs got really bad, even after we tried the oil and the vaseline and a lot of other things, we had another chicken who had it far far worse and she couldnt really walk, so we thought we'd better take her to the vet and get it sorted out properly, or you know, medically, so we knew it was going to work. Thanks though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by