Show Quality???

The white in the middle looks the best to me, from what I have seen of them being judged at the shows..I try to always be there to watch the runner ducks be judged even though I don't keep any, because if I ever did get bigger ducks, those would be the breed I would choose.

When showing, runner ducks should always be judged in a pen so they can be graded in a place where they can not only stand up straight but also so they can be made to move, at which time they look at how they stand up while moving and how they move. They can be looked at in their coops but the pen is the important part for this breed. I'd run at least that white through a show and see how it does...but remember, there are not a lot of the more standard sized ducks at shows, so unless you go to a huge show where the competition is stiff, you could wind up being surprised at how well you do. It can be a lot of work to keep the bigger ducks clean and not a lot of people show them, so SOMEBODY has to do it so people get to see them.

A word about showing them: I would be there and present for all of the showing of them in case you and your duck/s have to report back after your class/s for another cut between classes, a championship or something. Be alert and get to know the process. I personally don't like how I sometimes see some of the bigger ducks getting handled at shows, so it behooves a person, in my opinion, to be there to handle their own stock. You just never know who or how they might get handled by someone else, and I for one am very picky about how my birds get handled. It's your money, time, hard work and emotional investment on the line for someone else's rough handling if you don't. This is not a slam on the people who get paid little or nothing to help out at shows, because their contribution should be duly noted, but we all know there are all sorts out there and there's no reason to let one's exhibit be roughed up by them...that hot dog or cup of coffee can always wait, it's the show that an exhibitor is there for, after all.

Last edited:
I think the tall white drake in the center of the photo is show quality. I think he is quite nice and worth taking to a show.

The rest of them are much better Runners than the hatcheries send out, so you at least have something to start with. The gray spotted one is decent, although, I am not sure that is a recognized color, and there is a smaller white that is pretty good, the one just to the left of the tall white drake.

It's my understanding that white Runners is a very tough division to show in. Lots of tough competition. But take the drake, go and show, look at birds, talk to people. That's really the only way to learn.

Try some of the big shows too, because that is where you can learn a lot...the serious breeders will likely not be at your county fair, and a lot of county fairs don't hire judges that are rated very high due to cost. You'll want to get some insight from the best judges you can.

Back
Top Bottom