1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Show us your nest boxes! Ingenous design post it here!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Mawchickkidie, Mar 25, 2008.

1. Crazy4mypeeps

Crazy4mypeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    Nebraska
    Quote:Mine were doing that too, so I put plastic Easter eggs in each one, and they don't fight over the same box now. LOL

2. DAFox

DAFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2009
    SW MO in Vernon Co
    I use rubbermaid totes on the floor in the coop that was just finished in the fall. I don't use the tops. Instead, they are under my poop board. I slide them out, collect eggs, slide them back.
    I find this set up great (too great, actually) for broody hens. I take the whole box, with her in it and put it where I want the broody to be. Last year, I had 6-7 broodies. This year, 16 so far...
    Dale-Ann

2 people like this.
  3. ttownchooknook

ttownchooknook Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2011
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Such good ideas! I'm taking notes!

4. serenityNH

serenityNH Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2011
    Raymond, NH
    Our nesting boxes are 2 benches on top of each other - Each nest box is 15 x15x15. The best part is I picked them up for $4.50 each!! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. ChickyLoo

ChickyLoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    New Hampshire
    Thanks for all the ideas! Love all the pics & practicallity you all come up with. Makes chicken math sense [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  6. TouchO'Lass

TouchO'Lass Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Oroville, Wa
    cptbahama:
    The inside dimensions ended up being a little smaller than I wanted but I didn't follow any plans so my measurements didn't take into account the thickness of the materials (rookie mistake, I know).

Dude. When you see a chicken with a clip board and a tool belt, whippin' out her tape and taking notes, THEN you can dis your work. [​IMG] That is a beUUtiful job! Saw your other thread about "what would you pay". Very nice work...[​IMG]
    And I am loving all these ideas! [​IMG] Thanks for reviving this one! I've searched some of the other nest box threads 'cause my coop is mostly framed up, but I just couldn't decide on how I wanted to do the boxes. NOW I think I'm pretty sure...

BYCers = Coming thru to save the day, as always!!​

7. TnChickHen

TnChickHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    TN
    Here are my nesting boxes. 3 cardboard boxes, 1 rickety old ladder, 1 8'x2' plywood, nestled on top of an old tire!! Temporary for now... But it serves the purpose. No eggs, but it's also been a bit warm here for them!!!

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. The Driver

The Driver Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2011
    The Lone Star State!
    Made mine from a commercial grade fiberglass board for easy cleaning and sanitation.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  9. kevs-chickadees

kevs-chickadees Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Mesa AZ
    Our nesting boxes are actually home made drawers built into the side of the coop (wife's idea). We can either go into the coop to collect or just simply pull the drawer out.( sometimes with a hen still sitting there) Wish I was computer literate enough to figure out how to post a picture.

10. baldessariclan

baldessariclan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    Wichita, KS
    We have a little gap at the bottom of front of our nesting boxes to make it easier to sweep/wash out any small debris when doing periodic cleanings:

[​IMG]

After cleaning is done, a small (removable) board is replaced in little slot at the front to keep nesting material from coming out the bottom:

[​IMG]

Detail of boxes from inside the coop:

[​IMG]

And outside:

[​IMG]

Nesting boxes in action:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 people like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by