1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Showgirl Question About single combs?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Teresaann24, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    So I got a showgirl from a breeder and hatched lots of babies from him before I lost him to a cat. I believe he was an F5 showgirl. I sold a chick to a BYC member who lives 10-20 mins from me the chick was from my showgirl pen but had normal neck feathering. He has grown up into a beautiful rooster and has the perfect dark silkie comb color but its Single! He is nice too leg feathering is nice a little leggy nice tight wings. I had never had single combs pop up in ANY of the chicks I hatched. So I couldn't figure it out till I went back through my breeding books and figured out the chick had came from my showgirl pen. I know to make the showgirls turkens were introduced and turkens have single combs. So this is possible for a single comb to pop up right? I lost my roo but have a new showgirl hen who is an F8 could I still see a pop up of a single comb? Thanks for any advice in advance.

2. phasianidae

phasianidae Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    Quote:Single combs are recessive, so all it takes is for both parents to have one copy and 25% of the chicks will have single combs.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2011
  3. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    some times even to silkies breeders get single combs that pop up

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by