Showgirl thread- for posting pictures and discussing breed!

You should not breed two showgirls together--unless you want them to be more featherless.  They will have no bowtie or beard.---

This is not entirely true. You have to be mindful when you do it . Sometimes its fine just need to watch for a lot of skin on your showgirls (nekkid but showgirls or stripper showgirls) bowtie to bowtie are fine it is just clean necked you need to watch.

Last edited:
One generation of breeding them together should not be bad. Your first generation should result in approximately half showgirls and half slkies, but your showgirls may be more naked than the parents. If those two are from my flock, both had one silkie parent and one showgirl parent, though likely not the same pairing.

I have a question for someone who breeds showgirls. I have a showgirl hen and a showgirl rooster, both are bearded and have bow tie. Can you breed them to gether or is that not a good idea. Thanks

I have been breeding SG's for eight years , and have never had birds with loss of feathers. If you breed bearded SG's together you will hatch out more silkies then SG's. When you bread clean necked SG's to breaded you will get all SG's and when you breed clean necked to clean necked you will hatch clean necked SGs but you will miss out on the beauty do the less feathers. The true Naked Necks(Turken) never run out of feathers," but have less".

This is my findings as I have developed my SG's over the years starting with just a pair and some poor looking crosses that hatch in my mix flock, this prior to my knowledge of showgirls.

So all my birds are decedents of that original pair. Improvements were made by adding a show quality silky rooster. then breeding him to my clean necked hens. and keeping all hens and any nice roosters to place back into the main flock. If you are constantly replacing your SG's you will never now what you have or how your offspring will look.

I don't mean to ruffle anyones feathers, but time is the true test, most all of our old time breeders developed and improved type through years of hard work. I hope this is helpful.

I have been breeding SG's for eight years , and have never had birds with loss of feathers. If you breed bearded SG's together you will hatch out more silkies then SG's. When you bread clean necked SG's to breaded you will get all SG's and when you breed clean necked to clean necked you will hatch clean necked SGs but you will miss out on the beauty do the less feathers. The true Naked Necks(Turken) never run out of feathers," but have less".

This is my findings as I have developed my SG's over the years starting with just a pair and some poor looking crosses that hatch in my mix flock, this prior to my knowledge of showgirls.

So all my birds are decedents of that original pair. Improvements were made by adding a show quality silky rooster. then breeding him to my clean necked hens. and keeping all hens and any nice roosters to place back into the main flock. If you are constantly replacing your SG's you will never now what you have or how your offspring will look.

I don't mean to ruffle anyones feathers, but time is the true test, most all of our old time breeders developed and improved type through years of hard work. I hope this is helpful.
Yes, thank you so much.

@jlynn do you get bare butts or keels?

It is normal for the some bareness. The turken breed which is the cross that developed the SG is bare under wings, at the neck and the butt, this was to make it easy when removing feather for butcher.

With the SG's it is important to NOTE that when breeding two clean necks together you will have that same affect, but never will a bird hatch that has no feathers, or less. they will continue to have the same type as the parents.

My suggestion is to breed clean necked males to bearded and non-bearded hens this gives you the more desirable feathering plus you will have both bearded and clean necked offspring. This is the way I prefer to breed. I do this, so when needed I can replace an older roosters and/or hens with younger and sometimes better type without buying. this prevents me from having to deal with other genetic issues such as color crosses, toes, or poor egg production. which come about when you add a SG from a flock with no history . It is important to keep the nice type roosters for at lest three, sometimes five years before replacing, this gives you a nice spread between generations.

Those of you that like more clean necked birds could bread bearded roosters to clean necked hens. This keeps the feather issues at bay.

Hope this answered you question. Thank you.

It is normal for the some bareness. The turken breed which is the cross that developed the SG is bare under wings, at the neck and the butt, this was to make it easy when removing feather for butcher.

With the SG's it is important to NOTE that when breeding two clean necks together you will have that same affect, but never will a bird hatch that has no feathers, or less. they will continue to have the same type as the parents.

My suggestion is to breed clean necked males to bearded and non-bearded hens this gives you the more desirable feathering plus you will have both bearded and clean necked offspring. This is the way I prefer to breed. I do this, so when needed I can replace an older roosters and/or hens with younger and sometimes better type without buying. this prevents me from having to deal with other genetic issues such as color crosses, toes, or poor egg production. which come about when you add a SG from a flock with no history . It is important to keep the nice type roosters for at lest three, sometimes five years before replacing, this gives you a nice spread between generations.

Those of you that like more clean necked birds could bread bearded roosters to clean necked hens. This keeps the feather issues at bay.

Hope this answered you question. Thank you.
Yes ty. right now My stock is clean roosters to bow tie and silkie hens. I did have a pair last year that are sadly deceased that had very spare feathering on the chicks. Tose chicks did seem fragile, but have had had no issues this year. I will add that to my information stock!

I feel like someone said that showgirls are now apa accepted, Or am I making this up? My daughter would like to show our hen for 4H would she go any other standard bantam or non standard.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom