Showgirl with paralysis in right leg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jess5254, Jan 12, 2013.

1. jess5254

jess5254 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Maine
    Helllo I have a 5 month old white showgirl and has had paralysis in her right leg for about a mo9nth now. It sticks straight out and she walks like it is a peg leg. She does not move it is always facing forward as she is walking. She never drags it. She eats and drinks finelooks good skin color is great, very happy and does not seem to be in any pain. I pick her up and move the leg around at the joints kind of like a physical therapy thing and she does not seem to mind at all. I don't know what too do with her? I am thinking of wrapping it up so that she can get around better. she gets around now but not easily she has to use her wings alittle, and she sometimes falls over. Does anyone have any suggeations what to do to make her better or her quality of life better, or even what is wrong with her? They stay in the coop and have a run with a wooden floor for the winter so I know nothing got her. Please any info would be great. Thanks

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    It sounds like Marek's. But it could be a number of other things, like not getting vitamin B (thiamine), or other vitamins, an injury. Is it getting worse? Is the chicken skinny-like skin and bones?

Nine months-could be a neuro issue, it's hard to tell.

3. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    I would try the vitamin B12. I am only guessing, but I think the vitamin B's help to reduce the symptoms of Markes's disease when a chicken survives infection. I have a four year old hen who I believe has some form of Marke's disease. She has had sudden on-set of leg paralysis, it took two weeks of vitamin B12 and E(this is what I read) we all have a different vit, B, but otherwise all the same, it's a vitamin deficiency or Marke's. So my hen gets real ill each year, but with some care and extra vitamins, she is still going. Her first on-set of symptoms started when she was about 10 months, a year. Electrolyte solution have a lot of vitamins too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by