Showing and pullorum testing...ack

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by chikincrazee, Aug 23, 2010.

  1. chikincrazee

    chikincrazee Songster

    May 2, 2010
    IL son wants to show his chickens in a bunch of the fall shows...i paid a tester to come out on the weekend and he tested all the nankins but told me the silkies were fine as they had an NPIP certification paper...well the vet calls me today and tells me its not and they need to be retested every 90 days unless i am NPIP certified...accck no wonder the hens cackled so much i guess i will have to pay more money to have a tester come out again so we can be legal for the shows....bummer...anyone else go thru this paper trail stuff..we have stuff for the horses to but it lasts a year ....[​IMG]
  2. robin416

    robin416 Songster

    Feb 6, 2007
    Something is lacking here. What state are you in? In my state there is no paying someone to come do NPIP testing. And it is not necessary to be certified to participate in shows, just show the receipt to the show hall left by the tester. But if you want to be certified then you pay a $25 fee. And NPIP testing is good for one year here. Except some County Fairs are requiring testing not be older than 90 days.
  3. Yeah, our tester said NPIP is uncharged for us, as well. (But I'm assuming there's a small fee for so many animals.) We're considering it so we don't have to bother with the annoyances of getting Pollorum testing every few months, which she said would surfice either way when we're talking about shows. One or the other is supposed to be good around here.

    Pollorum testing doesn't cost us a dime, either. I thought I recall some areas requiring a fee for testing...that's a bummer.

    I thought that an animal is not NPIP tested UNLESS you actually ask to get the animal tested yourself? You gotta ask for it if you want it. Confusion!
  4. cbbantams

    cbbantams Songster

    May 11, 2009
    I am a p/t tester for our state.If someone wants to show a bird here it has to either be p/t tested and have a 90 day certificate to be entered or come from a npip certified flock which only a state inspector can do.To be a npip certified flock the state inspector comes to your farm and tests every bird on the property and swabs any incubators if you are hatching eggs.This is done every year there after and you are given a certification number and you can use that certificate to enter shows or to sell birds.Most p/t testers like my self do charge a small fee to test birds because the state pays for absolutely none of the supplies.We have to pay $22 per year for our liscense,$80 per year for the antigen testing solution which expires every year.It only comes in 1000 dose bottles that you will never use all of.Then the leg bands and all of the other supplies that you will never make enough from testing to pay for.Most of us just do this as a service to other exhibitors and to test our own birds.
  5. Rafter 7 Paint Horses

    Rafter 7 Paint Horses Songster

    Jan 13, 2007
    East Texas
    In Texas, P/T testing is done through USDA via Texas Veterinary Medical Diagnostic Lab (TVMDL) and it is free. The tester drives a state vehicle and is provided with all equipment as far as I know.

    cbbantams: What do you do about testing turkeys? Where do you send the blood? Do you have to pay for that yourself, too?

    I didn't think you would be able to do your own testing. The laws are just so different for each state. I don't know why they can't agree on one thing for everybody.

    Last edited: Aug 24, 2010
  6. apc

    apc Songster

    Nov 4, 2009
    Chickland, Il
    I just got tested (npip-waiting for all my final paperwork) and i paid the tester for the amount of antigen that we used. He usually doesnt charge, but i didnt find it fair to him to do a service he has to pay for for free. Testers in Il do not get paid by the state but can charge people whatever they deem as fair. [​IMG] Is it worth it? You bet! Getting tested every three months, and finding someone to do it was hectic!
  7. cracked_egg

    cracked_egg Chirping

    Jun 2, 2010
    Quote:(Not to go off topic, but there is nothing more frustrating than finding out you don't have what you need... Health papers on horses are only good for 30 days, coggins is good for 1 year in the state, but some states require it within 6 months. If you're staying in state this shouldn't be an issue, as usually you don't need health papers or coggins in-state, unless your event requires it, hth)
  8. averytds

    averytds Songster

    Jul 9, 2008
    My state allows you to become a certified tester much like cbbantams state. Same thing here, $30/yr for your license and you pay for all your own supplies. You can charge whatever you deem fair to test anyone elses birds, but the tester is usually on the losing end so far that I've seen. It was worth it to me though to not have to worry about what any particular show requires, some have accepted NPIP and some have wanted a test within 90 days of show. Either way I can easily take care of it now myself.
  9. cbbantams

    cbbantams Songster

    May 11, 2009
    Quote:I have never tested a turkey but it would be done the same way.And as far as sending off the blood,You do the plate test on site so you dont send anything in to the state except a copy of the 90 day certificate that I give to the bird owner.I can only issue 90 day certificates.To be npip certified flock a state inspector has to come to your farm,I cant do those.I actually only got my liscense to test our birds before sale or show.I only charge .50cents per bird to test for other people,so its only a service and will never pay for itself.
  10. Sweetfolly

    Sweetfolly Songster

    Apr 17, 2009
    Kildare, Wisconsin
    Quote:Really? It's just $25 in Tennessee to be NPIP certified?

    Here in Wisconsin, it's anywhere from $40 - $400, depending on the number of breeding birds you have. I'm filling out the paperwork right now, trying to decide if I can get away with a $40 Fanciers/Exhibition fee (you're allowed to breed birds with that, but they're supposed to be "specialty" breeds, other than meat-type and egg-type birds, and I don't know if my Khaki and Dark Campbell ducks fit in there), or if I should just go with the $80 for having 1 to 1,000 breeding birds. [​IMG]

    But yeah, testing and all the paperwork is a BIG headache. [​IMG] Our county testers charge 50 cents/bird, we have a friend in the neighboring county that comes and tests our birds for free - we just feed her lunch. [​IMG]
    I don't know what the state tester will charge. [​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: