Showing and working to the SOP

Fairview01

Crowing
6 Years
Jan 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
Genetics to me is nothing more than a numbers game. I agree that when high quality is mated to high quality there is a much higher potential that their will be high quality chicks hatched but at the end of grow out more will be eaten than saved.

This is what my goal is.
IMAG0469.jpg

However this plus probably 4 more is what I'll be eating to have achieved the one above.
IMAG0481.jpg

In total I had 16 cockerels hatch, out of that number only three show promise, perhaps one more.

If you want to move closer to the SOP and be successful on the show table - hatch a lot, eat a lot and save only the few. It's impossible to hatch just a handful or two and expect to find that jewel.

"It's impossible to hatch just a handful or two and expect to find that jewel. "
With all due respect,, tell that to Dragonlady and her lovely "Sunshine Girls" Buff Orpingtons.
Best,
Karen

Genetics to me is nothing more than a numbers game. I agree that when high quality is mated to high quality there is a much higher potential that their will be high quality chicks hatched but at the end of grow out more will be eaten than saved.

This is what my goal is.View attachment 1558712

However this plus probably 4 more is what I'll be eating to have achieved the one above.
View attachment 1558713
In total I had 16 cockerels hatch, out of that number only three show promise, perhaps one more.

If you want to move closer to the SOP and be successful on the show table - hatch a lot, eat a lot and save only the few. It's impossible to hatch just a handful or two and expect to find that jewel.
I very much agree. In order to do well you must hatch a ton. A couple won't make much. They may do alright at shows, but never reach the full potential the blood could have.

Back
Top Bottom