Showing Basics?

BeansnBiscuit

Chirping
10 Years
Jun 30, 2013
Charleston, WV
Hello all, I was just wondering if anyone would care to share with me the basics of showing. I'd like to know exactly how one starts showing chickens, and what to expect in shows. I can find standards on certain breeds and whatnot, but I just can't find anything on the basics and what to expect!

Thanks for your help guys :)

This is an article for you to read: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/how-to-prepare-a-chicken-for-showing

At a show, you can expect to see chickens. Some states only raise broilers and layers for the show, through programs such as 4-H and FFA you'll have a lot of fun showing. Some people aren't handy with chickens and don't respect them as a living thing so you will meet some people who are "rough" with their chickens and don't know a lot about them but halt at these people and keep your cool as you are competing to go to state or for a ribbon/award.

If you're older, look into larger poultry shows, if you are 19 and under, look into the 4-H shows to get you started. You'll want to get a bunch of breeds, but to be good at showing you should pick just one (this is sooo hard for me). Anything else? Just ask.

Back
Top Bottom