Showing Chickens

I am wanting to to start showing at some point in the very near future. Can someone tell me what I need to do to get started? Other than having an acceptable breed chicken.

I am wanting to to start showing at some point in the very near future. Can someone tell me what I need to do to get started? Other than having an acceptable breed chicken.
http://www.poultryshowcentral.com

This site will give you all the dates by region, date and state. Also, look down on the lower left hand column on the home page. You see icon buttons for articles and how to's on Showing 101 and Preparing for exhibiting.

It's a place to start. Then, find someone in your area who does show regulary, at sanctioned shows not just county fairs and make a date to spend a day with them as they mentor you in many, many things to get you ready. It is one of the most enjoyable social activities you'll ever do.

My son will be entering 2 of our chickens in the county fair this year. The problem is, when we remove one from the group, she flips out - squeaking, anxious, searching for her friends, etc. I've been trying to separate them each out and give treats to get them accustomed to being separated for the 5 days, but they aren't showing any signs of reduced anxiety. Is this normal? I don't want to give them anxiety or cause a heart attack or anything. Do they calm down once they're in their new place? Any tips or advice appreciated!

I have some of the same questions! We are entering some pullets and a cockerel in the state fair, but I'm worried that:

A) being caged alone for 4-5 days will affect their personalities and/or simply freak them out

B) being removed from the flock for 5 days will affect the way they are treated when they return

I spoke with a lady in charge of poultry at another county fair last weekend and she said the chickens adjust and do fine. (Reassuring, but I'm still a little apprehensive!) When they are reintroduced to the flock they will reestablish pecking order. The Denver fair is this week, so I'll see then how things go. Lots of luck to you melmeier01!

I stopped showing at fairs years ago. Although many show officials are people of good will. Many of the patrons are not. Pulling feathers. Scaring them taking eggs and theft of birds only a few things I have witnessed. I exhibit at sanctioned ABA/APA club shows only. That way I can monitor my birds and they are only there 2-3 days not a week. This is a group of mostly poultry breeders and bad behavior is not tolerated. In addition many fairs are during the summer during extreme heat not good.

I'm happy to report that we had a great experience at the Denver county fair! This one is indoors so all the birds are in a comfortable air conditioner climate. Both of ours showed no signs of anxiety and seemed (surprisingly) relaxed with everything. The judge and all the other poultry officials were super welcoming to a newcomer and very informational about showing, chicken and breed specs, and basically all things chicken. They spent tons of time talking with me and providing advice for my son (since they're his chicks). I was very impressed and grateful. I was there each day and patrons were all respectful of the birds. One thing I wasn't aware of is the pre work- wow! I had no idea about all the primping that can go into readying a chicken for judging! We did not prep ours. And the icing on the cake was that my son's Ameraucana won 3rd in Jr backyard :).

I'm happy to report that we had a great experience at the Denver county fair! This one is indoors so all the birds are in a comfortable air conditioner climate. Both of ours showed no signs of anxiety and seemed (surprisingly) relaxed with everything. The judge and all the other poultry officials were super welcoming to a newcomer and very informational about showing, chicken and breed specs, and basically all things chicken. They spent tons of time talking with me and providing advice for my son (since they're his chicks). I was very impressed and grateful. I was there each day and patrons were all respectful of the birds. One thing I wasn't aware of is the pre work- wow! I had no idea about all the primping that can go into readying a chicken for judging! We did not prep ours. And the icing on the cake was that my son's Ameraucana won 3rd in Jr backyard
smile.png

Its always good when your hard work pays off. Congrats! You are lucky to have such a good judge at your show to share some knowledge with you. Some shows Ive been to the judge just bolts after the show.

How do I tell if my Golden Laced Wyandottes are show worthy? I am new to this breed and just purchased a few hens and a rooster. Should the gold be light or more red?

Back
Top Bottom