Showing dominance already?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by AKsmama, Aug 5, 2010.

1. AKsmama

AKsmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    My chicks are about 4 weeks old. They moved out in to their coop Sunday. One of the EE cockerels, appropriately named El Jefe, seems to be the top chicken in the pecking order thus far. He's not necessarily mean, but he definitely likes chasing others. He and the "exotic," Casper, (which I am now thinking may be a Silver Spangled Hamburg) bump chests a good bit and last night El Jefe jumped on Casper and pecked his head, just because he could. He is definitely showing his dominance over the other chickens. Yesterday I was hanging out for a few minutes in the coop, watching them play keep-away with a dead cicada, and El Jefe came and perched on me. Didn't do anything, just looked at me and perched on my arm. Sometimes when I hang out other chickens will do the same, but El Jefe really hangs back, even when I bring treats out for everyone. He did it again when I went out for one last check on them. Very unusual. Is he trying to assert his dominance over me already? There was no pecking or flogging or any protective behavior from him towards me. I'm just curious if I should enjoy his perching or nip this in the bud right now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by