Showing OEGB, when to dub?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by shelleyd2008, Nov 10, 2010.

1. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    There is a poultry show next month that I plan on taking some of my birds to. One of my birds is a young OEGB cockerel that I'm pretty proud of. Only problem is that he is not dubbed. The show is on the 18th of December, is it too late to dub him for this show? I don't know how to do it, but a friend does. The cockerel is about 8 months old.

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Oh, another question. Do they have to have leg bands?

3. dntd

dntd Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2009
    Another big difference in the two standards that some people may not be aware of is that American Game bantam males are required to be dubbed if they are shown, no matter what their age is. If not, they are to be disqualified. However OEGBs can still be shown while undubbed when they are cockerels (as long as it is before November 1st of the year it was hatched).

http://backyardpoultrymag.com/issue...erican_game_bantams_whats_the_difference.html

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Yes, they have to have leg bands. No, it isn't too late to dub. Far as I've read, around that age is fine (it is said at breeding age, so I'd assume 5-9 months old) You'll just need really sharp, powerful scissors. There's a couple other variables you need to minimize bleeding too, though.

5. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    They have to have leg bands? Why's that?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by