Showing Polish Question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Schultz, Dec 6, 2009.

1. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I am hoping someone here can help with this question. When showing in a open class, is it ok to pluck feathers in the birds crest or would that be considered a disqualification? Any help would be appreciated.

2. Crunchie

Crunchie Brook Valley Farm

Mar 1, 2007
    Maryland
    I don't know of anyone who doesn't pluck the crest feathers.

ETA: I'm talking, obviously, about white crested birds, not birds with colored crests. Everyone plucks the colored feathers out of white crested bird's crests to clean them up. You're not going to be disqualified for that. I'm only talking about APA sanctioned open shows, though...I don't know about rules for 4-H or junior/showmanship stuff.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2009
  3. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    I would think it would, but go to the polish breeders club site. They have tons of info on there reguarding all things polish...

http://polishbreedersclub.com/

4. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

I've heard a few times that showers will pluck crest feathering when necessary, so long as you don't over-do it. Also, I've only been told this needs to be done with birds with a white crest, like Crunchie said.

5. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Ok thanks for your input everyone. I see this in a different light now. You have all been a big help.

6. Dustin Biery

Dustin Biery Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Mulberry, Arkansas
    And if you are going to do it, do it before you leave the house. Do not wait until you get to the show to do it.

7. polish101

polish101 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2009
    North central
    Hi,
    Yes EVRYONE who has had success showing none solid color polishs plucks the crests. It is usally done about a week in advance.

Jeremy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by