1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Showing Quail? ...biosecurity again

Discussion in 'Quail' started by kahlertm, Feb 22, 2011.

1. kahlertm

kahlertm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    Durango, Colorado
    Excellent posts on the biosecurity and keeping/avoiding keeping chickens and game birds. Thank you so much Robo, JJ, others...

So, since I have a 4-H child (clover bud actually, since he is only 5) and we want to share our quail project, what is the safest way to do so? NOT TO?

OR...Quarantine the birds for 21 days after show and treat them as if they have been infected. County Fair for 4-H purposes, to me now, is seeming a TERROR. Given, we/I have pull and can have the game birds moved to an outside exhibit. They were outside under a canopy protected and away from the chickens (people still walking by etc. after being in the poultry barn).
    I have also observed birds in shows with colored water, appearing as if the keeper had medicated their water during show.

Another option is to show only those you would expect to cull after the show, therefore keeping your farm "closed".

Have any of you dealt with this successfully?

Tonya

2. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    SORRY TONYA AROUND HERE 4H WONT EVEN SHOW GAMEBIRDS OF ANY TYPE... [​IMG]

3. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    Well, if you want to take them go ahead. Here's the catch, every person that wants to touch the birds needs hand sanatizer. Put a solid barrier between them and get them as far away as possible. I have taken birds to a fair and sold them before. Just make sure that people sanatize, don't track droppings, ext. If the fair donates feed cups don't use them even on chickens. Also if you are planning on culling some that would be a good idea.

4. Robo

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    Quote:Around here they will take them, but you're competing against yourself...

5. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    Anything that goes to the fairr round here doesn't come home (Unless it's your show rabbit which is worth more than your house... then it's a different story! [​IMG] ) , it just gets sold at auction.

Though, if I DID have to bring them home,

• Medicated water (Won't help much, but it makes me sleep better. [​IMG] )
    • Outside the poultry barn
    • Untouchable (Far enough away people can't touch)
    • Store your feed outside of where everybody else does
    • Bring your own cage
    • Quarantine for 21 days before putting with the rest of your flock

Hope this helps! [​IMG]

6. Robo

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    Good list, definitely bring your own cage...

7. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Quail should be shown like any other chickens. When showing chickens, I suppose you all practice biosecurity when you come home and quarantine the birds. I am working on standards in quail and to be able to show quail and button quail. If we can't show quail, we shouldn't show chicken.

1 person likes this.
  8. kahlertm

kahlertm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    Durango, Colorado
    The little guy and I are down for that quaillady! We want to show how well we did and how beautiful and useful they can be.

Robo was right about competing against ourselves. Ah well, so we take home a blue ribbon for best of (read ONLY) species.[​IMG] But...if there is a standard created someday it would be neat to show a color and size of each. Yes, competing against yourself, but with which will you be graded as a champion with? Until others in my community catch on, my little son and I will work with the best of you to obtain and grow the best stock. We can watch to see a standard set, and then further improved what with the Jumbo Co-op.

I don't think I'll sell any this year. I want to keep on working with you guys to have the best covey I can.

I can sell later when I know I have managed my birds in the best ways *with your help.

When my son is old enough to present, he will be able to do so with the long lasting information you guys provide and perfect.

Tonya

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by