Showing Question, please answer in detail!

CamiWammiBammi

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 11, 2012
So first of all, I want to get Golden Spangled Hamburgs and want to know, are they good for showing? Another thing is what do I need to show, and what age etc... I am getting them vaccinated for Merek's, do I need their papers? What if I don't have their papers?

Golden Spangled Hamburgs are a recognized breed in both large fowl and bantam. So, if you have good quality chickens, they will be good for showing.

Chickens don't have registration papers like dogs do, so no papers required. Vaccines are not required to show, so you will not have to have proof of vaccination.

You will need to check your state law and also read the entry form carefully. Some states require NPIP registration for your farm and some states will allow you to have your birds tested as you enter the show ground if you are not NPIP.

As far as I know, every show will inspect your birds for mites before you are allowed to enter the grounds and you are requested to treat your birds for mites and lice a week before the show. You should be checking your birds on a regular basis for mites and not allowing them on your birds in the first place, but it is nice if the show committee does not allow a scabby infested bird to be placed into the cage right next to your bird.

You are on your honor to not take your birds to the show if you have sick birds at home.

I have never seen birds inspected for lice/mites during coop-in. However, show staff, judges and other exhibitors are quick to notice infested birds and have them removed from cages. Most exhibitors that I know spray their birds before and after a show. That keeps any acquired hitchhikers from making it back to your pens.

Back
Top Bottom