1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Showing Sumatra's

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the Standard o' started by redrodeo, Mar 15, 2016.

1. redrodeo

redrodeo Out Of The Brooder

I am new to showing birds and I wish to show my Sumatra's. I was told that to prepare them for show I should place them in 2ftx2ftx2ft cage to get them use to show. Because of my rooster long tail and the fact they are active birds will I need a bigger cage or will the 2ft one be enough room?

2. CascadiaRiver

CascadiaRiver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    Most shows will not give you a larger cage unless you pay an extra fee to get a "double coop" but they can get costly. Most small coop/cages are maybe a little over a foot and the large/med ones are around 16 inches? (I suppose it could vary to where you're showing I suppose ;3 ) and yeah, most roosters do get their tails smooshed but I've never seen it effect the way the bird is judged because it doesn't usually permanently mess up the tail.

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Willingly pay for a double coop. Some of our LF Rock and Red males are simply too large for a single as well.

Typical prices? $4-$5 for single $6-$8 for double.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by