Shredded hemp for deep litter

middle TN Nancy

Chirping
Jul 2, 2018
In all my reading while designing and building my coop, I came across mentions of using shredded hemp for deep litter in the coop. I think the first time I saw it was a video from Carolina Coops. They raved about hemp’s high absorbency, low dust, good compostability, and how long it lasts in a deep litter system. Have any of you had experience with shredded hemp for deep litter?
It took me a long time to find it affordably because nobody carries it around here, but I finally managed to source it through a relatively local feed and farm supply - they get it from New Country Organics out of Virginia. UntilI found this garden supply I couldn’t justify the shipping cost as it essentially doubles the cost of the bales. This local store will let me add a couple of bales whenever they are ready to re-order their regularly-carried items from NCO (they don’t usually stock the hemp). So does anyone else use shredded hemp for deep litter? I am interested in hearing about others’ experiences with it.

Seems like a waste of money to me when any other dry organic material does the exact same job. Bragging rights perhaps? Nobody really carries it because the US hemp industry has been fairly nonexistent for decades until now and you pay for shipping. Maybe in the future it will be more commonly available

What do you mean “they are a bit off on the bedding thing”?
They say it doesn't need to be changed for 3 years,
that along with their 'overpopulation' numbers,
makes experienced keepers raise their eyebrows in skeptical disbelief.
Marketing chatter is often inaccurate.

They say it doesn't need to be changed for 3 years,
that along with their 'overpopulation' numbers,
makes experienced keepers raise their eyebrows in skeptical disbelief.
Marketing chatter is often inaccurate.
Oh. I thought they recommended changing it out once a year, if it seemed to need it, adding it to the compost pile. And leaving an inch or two in the bottom to retain the micro-organisms for inoculating the fresh several inches added.

In all my reading while designing and building my coop, I came across mentions of using shredded hemp for deep litter in the coop. I think the first time I saw it was a video from Carolina Coops. They raved about hemp’s high absorbency, low dust, good compostability, and how long it lasts in a deep litter system. Have any of you had experience with shredded hemp for deep litter?
It took me a long time to find it affordably because nobody carries it around here, but I finally managed to source it through a relatively local feed and farm supply - they get it from New Country Organics out of Virginia. UntilI found this garden supply I couldn’t justify the shipping cost as it essentially doubles the cost of the bales. This local store will let me add a couple of bales whenever they are ready to re-order their regularly-carried items from NCO (they don’t usually stock the hemp). So does anyone else use shredded hemp for deep litter? I am interested in hearing about others’ experiences with it.

Hi,
I have been reading about using the deep liter system and is very interested in it. Like you, I have a hard time sourcing affordable shipping charges for these hemp. Good that you are able to find a store that will bring in the hemp for you. Is there a chance that the garden store is in California? Would love to get some help with shipping the hemp or if anyone near me would like to share the shipping cost, that would be great!

No I’m sorry, the store is in TN. You might have luck in California though, finding a supplier. The business I found is actually a small farm that raises grass-fed beef and other organically-raised meat animals for sale. They also run a small store there carrying organic feeds.etc., which is why they carry the New Country Organic products. You might be able to find a similar-type of business close to you.

No I’m sorry, the store is in TN. You might have luck in California though, finding a supplier. The business I found is actually a small farm that raises grass-fed beef and other organically-raised meat animals for sale. They also run a small store there carrying organic feeds.etc., which is why they carry the New Country Organic products. You might be able to find a similar-type of business close to you.
Thanks for your reply :)

Hi,
I have been reading about using the deep liter system and is very interested in it. Like you, I have a hard time sourcing affordable shipping charges for these hemp. Good that you are able to find a store that will bring in the hemp for you. Is there a chance that the garden store is in California? Would love to get some help with shipping the hemp or if anyone near me would like to share the shipping cost, that would be great!
I'm in NorCal and I'm also interested in finding a closer source of hemp. I bought my first bale on Amazon (Rent a Coop brand). I used less than half of the bag to put down a 4 inch deep layer in my coop (5'x6'). It's been over a month and there is no smell in the henhouse. I have 10 pullets and they also have access to a run during the day. The pine shavings I used before had to be replaced each week because of stink. So far, I really like the hemp.

Back
Top Bottom