Shredded Paper, Yes Or No?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by shell25, Dec 7, 2010.

1. shell25

shell25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2010
    Derbyshire
    Can Shredded Paper Be Put In The Chicken Coop Nesting Area? Ive Got Bags Of This Stuff But Wanted To Check 1st, In The Uk The Temps Really Dropping Now And Were Still Recovering From Over 18" Of Snow, I Previosuly Just Added Sawdust??

2. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

I wouldn't because it packs down easily, especially with all the poo. I like to use straw in the nest boxes and pine shavings on the floor of the coop.

3. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I've used them in nesting boxes, did pretty good!

4. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    Maybe if you mixed it with hay/straw or shavings? That way, you use it, but also helps cut down on traditional nest material.

I've used it for rabbits/guinea pigs, alone, it does pack down. So I started mixing it, worked much better.

5. FarmerJamie

FarmerJamie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2010
    Quote:Tried that recently by shredding a bunch of paper stuff the kids brought home from school, I get "confetti' eggs that I have to pick the paper off of....

6. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

I start with pine shavings but add shavings and shredded paper from my office all winter long. It won't mat down if mixed with the pine bedding and it adds extra absorption to the mix. Just throw some BOSS into the bedding now and again to encourage the birds to keep it fluffed and mixed and it should do great! This helps cut my bedding costs and also recycles the paper....makes it all great for the garden in the spring also.

I don't use it in the nest boxes but it seems to gravitate there...doesn't seem to be too much of a problem, picks off the eggs easily.

7. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    If you're willing to replace it alot, sure. Otherwise it absorbs fast, and not much, so it packs down with a lot of poo pretty quickly and becomes a mess.

8. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Like the others I've found that as nest box litter shredded paper packs down too much. Mixed with shavings or hay it might work better.

As roost house litter I liked it pretty well if it can be kept dry. Outside where it can get wet and mixed with manure you can almost see it decompose and disappear.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 8, 2010
  9. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I'd suggest just trying it and see how you feel about it. Opinions are widely divided... some people (me included) loathe it as it turns into a particularly nasty form of paper-mache for us; other people swear by it. I don't know why, but who cares, all that matters is what YOU would think, and the only way to know is to try [​IMG]

I know of no particular cautions or anything like that about it.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

10. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I used it and the results were VERY poor. It didn't work well with my girls. I would never use it again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by