Shredder gene?

chicky-little

Songster
8 Years
Jun 6, 2015
BC
I recently purchased a few Orpington hens and one of the lavenders has some funky looking tail feathers. I have done a bit of researching since and have found reference to a recessive gene that could be the culprit, but I have not been able to find any pictures to reference to. Any suggestions?I will be upping their protein as I have read this could also be a problem,but the other hens' tails look fine. Any input would be appreciated.
Screenshot_20181104-165250.png

Agreed, it comes with lavendar.
Poor feather quality is often associated with that gene.

Although the shredder-gene is closely connected to Lavender, the two are not one-and-the-same. The linkage is similar to that found between the blue egg gene and the pea-comb gene; when connected they are usually inherited together, but will rarely and occasionally split. Here in the UK, our Lavender Araucana (the breed best loved in this colour) are completely devoid of the gene; it has been bred out.

Thanks. I wasn't aware of the gene when I purchased these ones. Now to decide if I continue with lavenders and attempt to breed it out of my flock or not. I have my eye on some black orpingtons, which was originally what I wanted but couldn't find. I can either just go with them or use them to improve my lavenders.

Back
Top Bottom