Shreveport,La?

mom wewantchicks!

Songster
11 Years
Apr 23, 2008
buckhannon,wv
anyone in or around this area? my dh just got a job offer there and id like some first hand experience!!! im a small town wv girl,never been away from home! but i love my hubby and if this is something he wants then we are all for it! so any info, cost of living (homes and such!) schools? crime? thanks in advance!!!

I live in the Shreveport area. My wife was born and raised across the river in Bossier city. we have three kids and my wife has studied the schools, neighborhoods, etc in detail. feel free to e-mail me or PM me. i don't check this site very regular so e-mail is best.
I moved to the country north of town acouple years back. Economy is booming here and most housing is very affordable. Come join us!

well thanks for the replies!! actually dh and i desided to go! then the next day he went to work,got a raise and we got an offer on our trailer!! so it seems we will be staying in wv buying and buying a house! whew! things can sure change quickly lol

New to Bossier City and wondering if anyone has had success or sob-stories with chickens in the backyard. I found the municode webpage and it looks like chickens are out:
"Sec. 14-31. Keeping farm animals within 100 feet of a residence unlawful. Any person who is the owner or shall have the custody, care or control of any cattle, horses, mules, goats, sheep or other domesticated farm animal who shall graze, tie out or stake out or keep any such animal on any lot or in any enclosure overnight within 100 feet of an occupied residence shall be guilty of a misdemeanor. Such measurement shall begin from any portion of the building situated on any adjacent lot which is used as a place of residence. (Code 1980, § 5-8)"

"Sec. 14-33. Raising poultry prohibited. It shall be unlawful for any person to raise poultry for commercial purposes or otherwise within the city limits. (Code 1980, § 5-6)"

Our backyard shares a fenceline with a pasture and about 20 or 30 head of cattle. We have a dog so I'm anticipating tick issues in addition to flies and other blood-sucking nasties. I'd love to have 3 or 4 hens but I'm reluctant to take the leap without knowing how stringent the locals are about this. OR, if there's a local chicken revolution I can join. wink

Anyone got words of wisdom?

We live just outside of shreveport & we are just starting to get into raising chickens.We are looking for some rhode island reds & some plymount rock hens & roosters.Does anyone know where we can buy some hens that are already laying & a couple of roosters? Got the pen & house already ready for them.

Back
Top Bottom