Shrew

bandbaustin

Crowing
13 Years
May 21, 2009
Valparaiso, IN
So I was having a problem with what I thought was a mouse in my red golden pheasant pen.
Set some traps with peanut butter and caught a northern short tailed shrew. I think this booger killed two of my chicks. Come to find out that these creatures are venoumous. Glad I got him!!!

Its a small creature that looks like a cross between a mole and mouse. About same size as a mouse. REad its venom can kill 200 mice, so my babies did not stand a chance if they were bit.

You know its the thing that Shakespeare tried to tame.
lau.gif
gig.gif

Shrews are territorial though. If you have a shrew....that's all you have. No mice. No rats. It may have babies but they do not stick around long. The mother will kill them after they reach a certain age.

Yes. They are the ONLY venimous mammal in the North America. But they have not killed any humans.

We had one in our house once. My dog slept in my son's room for 3 nights in a row and we couldn't figure out why he was doing that. Usaully he stayed in our room. On the 4th day we found out why. He had killed the shrew right next to my son's bed.

This was a few years ago. That son was the only child at the time and was 3 years old. GOOD DOG! He was a rescue dog. The best dog I ever had. And he still protects my kids!

Last edited:
I would have let him stay if I knew thats what it was and he wasn't killing my red golden babies. I ended up moving them out cause I wasn't sure what was getting them til after I caught him. Weird looking guy, small thing for being so tenacious!!

My cats kill shrews all the time. They don't eat them, neither do the chickens, not even the Sumatras, never had a problem.
The shrews around here eat bugs and seeds.

Shrews are really cool animals, I have never heard of them attacking poultry. However its possible that one might eat a baby chick. Just possible. On the other side they eat so many bugs and do an excellent job of keeping mice and rats at bay its a crime to kill one. They have a venom but no human has ever been made sick. It will slow or weaken a mouse or rat. they release a very bad sent when hurt or killed thats why cats dont eat them. Moles are related to shrews but Shrews do not tear up the yard. Its a very sad thing that cats kill so many. The shrew is doing more to keep down the mice than cats in my opinion. Owls will eat them as they swallow them whole. Well there is my 2 cents worth !

Back
Top Bottom