Shrieking Australorp

Thanks! The run not including the coop is 14ft x 4ft. They have a dust bath area, mirrors, swings, and perched up high. They also get to go outside in the yard. She was high strung even as a baby, so I wonder if that's just how she is.
That's great. It's much bigger than it looks in the video then. Yeah, some are just really loud, so it may just be her personality.

My Betty is like that. She's a light brahma. I was in the run earlier and she was yelling up a storm. Now our salmon faverolle is doing the same, just not quite as loud.

Hi all!

I need help. We have six total chickens including two Australorps and one has been "shrieking" for about 8 weeks now. She is 22 weeks old and started laying last week.

We chose Australorps as they are supposedly one of the quieter breeds. Her sister is super quiet. She started this shrieking thing about 8 weeks ago when she would see us outside, so we assumed it was for attention. It has slowly ramped up so it is almost the only noise she makes. I can hear it through our closed windows and I feel bad for the poor neighbors. We aren't allowed a rooster, but she is as noisy as one.

I attached a video of her making the noise. I was hoping when she started laying that the shrieking would stop, but it hasn't. She is an extremely high-strung chicken but seems otherwise happy and healthy. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you!

Two of my girls do this. It's a demanding sound. they do it when they see me. They want OUT. Or FOOD.

We have a flock of 5 now, 2 old Buff Orpington hens (retired from laying) and 3 newer pullets ( Copper Marans, Jersey Giant, and another Buff Orpington) of which 2 have just begun laying.
Our coop has an automatic chicken door, and the birds are up before the door opens. They expect their morning scratch, and the older ones sometimes shriek to be let out (at 5:30am!). Over the years I have taught them to stop shrieking by telling them to "Be quiet", and if they don't they get a small spray from the hose.
It has not traumatized them, but they get it and stop making noise.
It took some time to train them, but it has saved us grief from our neighbors. The only downside is having to get up and go to the window if they do it.
Your mileage may vary. They are just chickens, after all.

I have an Australorp who's a chatterbox, too. She gets a lot louder when she thinks she's about to get fed, but she keeps up a fairly constant stream of noise through the day. My Faverolle likes to scream, too, and I was also led to believe they were a quiet breed. I just happened to get the ones who didn't read the same chicken books I did!

IMG_20200604_172146386_HDR.jpg

I think that's just her way of talking! I have one Australorp that does the same thing. She is really loud! She especially makes that noise when I give her treats. I will drop bread pieces on the ground, and as soon as they've been eaten, her shrieking starts, as if she's saying, "Where's the rest? Give me more!"

Back
Top Bottom