Shrink Bags

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Lexiluke, May 1, 2012.

1. Lexiluke

Lexiluke Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    I already know that most people get their bags from Cornerstone Farm but I was wondering if the shrink bags on Ebay would serve the same purpose. I converted their thickness and compared it to Cornerstones and they are thinner but I wonder if they would still work and freeze well. The cost for the bags is much more reasonable. I am not trying to shortcut on quality but I was just wondering if anyone else has experimented with these bags and if so, what are your recommendations. My meaties are still only two weeks old so I have a little time to decide what to purchase. Thanks in advance.

2. Lexiluke

Apr 13, 2012
    Can anyone help me out with this?

3. wsmoak

wsmoak Chillin' With My Peeps

4. Lexiluke

Apr 13, 2012
    I am sorry for any confusion. Here is a link to the bags I was thinking about ordering. http://www.ebay.com/itm/50-9-x14-Sh...163?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27bfe0e3bb They are somewhat thinner but I am not sure if they would perform somewhat similar. The cost of these vs. the cost of Cornerstone or the link you provided are so much less. I am assuming this is a hoax or at least something not worth preserving my hard work,but I thought I would ask. This is my first round with meat birds and I am truly at the novice stage. I am an active hunter and have processed many ducks and partridge but have always just breasted them out and vacuum packed them. I am very interested in the shrink packaging and am hoping that the experts in this forum can shed a little light on these.

Last edited: May 4, 2012
  5. lynn1961

lynn1961 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    south central Oklahoma
    http://poultryshrinkbags.blogspot.com/ . Is also where I bought mine, the ebay ones not so great. But the ones I bought of poultry shrink bags work like a charm. Bought 200 of them to use for the chickens, cut up turkey, beef and veggies from the garden. I think I spent about 75.00 $ on that many, with free shipping.

6. Lexiluke

Apr 13, 2012
    Well, I decided on Cornerstone Farm. Ordered last Friday and received them on Wednesday. Now for my X's to grow a little more. Thanks for the advice.

7. goldnchocolate

goldnchocolate Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    Massachusetts
  8. GaJohnson350

GaJohnson350 New Egg

Mar 19, 2012
    Has anyone used vacuum seal bags? I by the cheap ones when I can but I have never vacuumed sealed a chicken in them. I am just wondering if it is cheap enough and if they will even fit in the bags.

9. wsmoak

wsmoak Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a Foodsaver and have vacuum sealed some parts, but not whole birds. The vacuum bags are meant to come out fairly flat, so a bunch of leg/thigh quarters fit nicely, but a full breast not so much. Probably split breasts would do fine, but I haven't figured out how to do those yet. (I think I need a different knife...)

-Wendy

10. bwmichaud

bwmichaud Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    You can get the good ones at www.nadyaspoultry.com

High quality bags at better prices than the other guys. People may tell you otherwise but they are wrong. See for yourself.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by