Shrink wrapped duckling? Help!

MemeGeorge

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 28, 2014
North Lincolnshire, UK
Is he shrink wrapped? He's been stuck for ages. He's still peeping but the membrane is bright white and quite rubbery all round him. It was a saddle shaped air cell.

Mind if I ask what the term 'shrink wrapped' means in terms of poultry? I read the title and had images of a little duckling wrapped tight in plastic shrink wrap. D:

@Lacrystol has experience with shrink wrap, as do a number of folks. It's from low humidity. Sometimes they can be helped out, but carefully so you don't cause bleeding.

There is this by bird9
I had 6 of 8 eggs shrink wrapped last Spring. If your duckling was developed enough to pip and crack shell, it should be okay to assist. Here is a video of opening the first egg. She is in my avatar and backyard and just laid her 8th egg in a row today :) I had called the breeder and her told me that not helping hatch is for survival in nature. Once we put in incubator we take nature out of equation, so helping is a choice. I had to do it. I figured that we messed the humidity up to shrink wrap, so I went for it. Was terrified with the first one. By egg # 6 I realized it wasn't as delicate a procedure as I thought. Gook Luck with whatever you decide to do.

Edited by bird9 - 10/20/13 at 10:49am
……………….

Don't know if any of this will help
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/861442/when-to-help-when-to-worry

Last edited:
@Lacrystol
 has experience with shrink wrap, as do a number of folks.  It's from low humidity.  Sometimes they can be helped out, but carefully so you don't cause bleeding.
Thanks. I've been keeping his membrane moist. I can see a large blood vessel near him so I've let him rest after I damped his membrane again. He's still moving and peeping and rocking the egg lots

You may want to post over on the Duck Forum, that's where most of the duck hatchers are, I think.

(I am not a hatcher but I try to share what I have read about on the forum)

Mind if I ask what the term 'shrink wrapped' means in terms of poultry? I read the title and had images of a little duckling wrapped tight in plastic shrink wrap. D:

Think of Shrink wrap like a piece of plastic. When you put plastic inside an oven, it shrivels up. That's exactly what they membrane does to anything, duck, chicken etc. Once the membrane is exposed to heat, it shrivels up and confines the embryo and basically causes them to die.

Think of Shrink wrap like a piece of plastic. When you put plastic inside an oven, it shrivels up. That's exactly what they membrane does to anything, duck, chicken etc. Once the membrane is exposed to heat, it shrivels up and confines the embryo and basically causes them to die.
Thanks for the info. So it's pretty much a suffocation risk?

Back
Top Bottom