Shrink wrapped ducklings?

Hi Agregg,

How old is your baby now? When did it hatch, and was it assisted? (Sorry, I'm on severall threads, and I get lost on what I've read where)

Something needs to be done quickly for that duckling, Hopefully someone can help you figure out whats best for the leg. and so sorry about the duckling that died.
fl.gif

this is for chicks but maybe something there that will help your duckling. https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry

The duckling hatched yesterday and was assisted. He/she is drinking, but not eating. Should I open her bill and put a piece of food in to see if he/she will eat it?

Okay thanks. I just am paranoid especially with the condition this duckling is currently in. I read something on that website and I saw a picture of a chick that looks almost exactly how the duckling looks. Apparently hobbles can fix it which should be easy enough. I can't thank you guys enough for helping :)

I've recently had a duck that way, and its not the first. I'd say 70% are self correcting before day 72 hours. They just sort of get it worked out suddenly sometimes. Remember the baby is ok for 3 days w/o food and water. (I offer a very mild solution of 1 c. water to 1/4 tsp sugar and a pinch of salt, sirred and left to stand for an hour for solids to dissolve into a solution). Then, I offer a single drop every several hours to help them along. Sometimes patience is better than assistance, especially in a none life threatening situration not involving infections, lacerations, punctures, etc.

I strongly urge you to just use a non slip mat for shelves under him, so he can get a grip on it once he works out his legs a bit more. I also recomend you let him rest, and keep tryiing on his own. Key here is time and non-slip surfaces.

Last edited:
The duckling is doing great. While changing the hobble I noticed that the leg is starting to correct itself. He/she is also much more stable and active and is starting to eat and explore.

The duckling is doing great. While changing the hobble I noticed that the leg is starting to correct itself. He/she is also much more stable and active and is starting to eat and explore.

I am so happy to hear this.. Are you going to get the little one a buddy, maybe a feed store or TSC will still have some for sale, they really do better if they have a friend.

I don't think so if it's white and looks like paper more than likely shrink wrapped. but i don't hatch in a bator so I maybe wrong, trying to remember all I have read. Hope someone else comes along to help you.
hello, i just went through that very same thing. and im about 99% sure it is shrink wrapped. you WILL have to intervene....i could here my duckling peeping and pecking yesterday morning. i candled him...something didn't look quite right....but being a first time incubatorer....i wasn't positive.. so i let him be...WRONG decision...i candled him this morning...no progress.....no movement.....the "air cell" appeared to be a bit large. sooooo my MOMMA instinct said ...this doesnt look right. i got my nerve up and decided to open the egg...very very carefully....immediately i noticed the shell was very brittle/dry. the
membrane was very dry and paper like....i very carefully proceded....there was no active blood veins...i proceeded....i got the shell peeled back enough to see....
My poor baby was indeed SHRINK WRAPPED. and died. I WAS TO LATE INTERVENING
this tells me......there was not enough humidity maintained in the incubator and it kept fluctuating...i had a crazy hard time getting that humidity constant...i know thats very important...
again this was my first time incubating...i am by no means a professional....
i felt so bad ...
i hope this helps ....good luck with your baby

Back
Top Bottom