Shrink Wrapped!... so far so good **pic**....Update Died :(

shanshan51

Songster
8 Years
Sep 7, 2011
Vacaville, CA
So I tried hatching two eggs and they never made it to hatching. I dissected them and it looked like they died while in the lock-down phase or right before. I know they had movement the day before lock-down. Then I did a staggered hatch with two additional eggs. Out of the two additional eggs one did make it to lock down with no movement but I gave it a shot anyways. The other made it. But...this morning it was "shrink wrapped". So I carefully pulled the shell off in little peices. It was easier than I thought. A tiny bit of blood came out but it was not bad, maybe only a drop. Then it looked like the chick was still absorbing the last bit of yolk. So I left the part of the shell and the baby chick in the bator to recover. I hope he/she makes it. So far so good. Its breathing and moves every once and a while. I had to run off to work. I wanted to call in sick as this is my first chick to actually make it to hatch.

Do you think it will make it? The yolk not absorbed looks like the size of a dime. I dont hear chirping but it is breathing. Is that normal? Pic below

304775_10150322534664174_548719173_7826364_1104043756_n.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats! I have found that when you help a chick, they are not always the strongest but mine have lived through being helped out because of shrink-wrap. I had one do what yours is doing but he finally came to and perked up. I have read some threads about giving them some water with alittle bit of gatorade in it or sugar BUT I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT THIS! Please, look up some more info before you do it, like I said, I know nothing about it! Dont worry about the yolk, he will absorb it. Even some of my chicks that I didnt have to help, still had some yolk left to absorb. Well, best of luck and keep us updated

he should absorb the yolk.. just keep in mind that when a chick hatches out on it's own that it is using it's muscles to hatch.. since you helped this one he will take a little longer to get up and get his legs under him.. but so long as he absorbs the yolk and didn't lose too much blood he should be ok

you also have to remember that it does not take much blood loss to kill a chick (they don't have very much blood to start with)
so any time you assist a hatch if you see plump veins or fresh blood STOP.. wrap the egg in a wet paper towel and put it back in the incubator for an hour or so before proceeding

also since this little guy was shrink wrapped the other chicks stand a good chance of being shrink wrapped as well.. so keep an eye on your humidity and keep a lookout for signs of shrink wrapped chicks

the more of the hatching process that a chick does on it's own.. the faster it will be up on it's feet.. so even though I do advocate assisting a chick when it needs it please keep it in mind that assisted chicks will seem to be a bit slower at first than a chick that has hatched by itself

My roommate just text and thinks it did not make it
sad.png
I am sooooooo upset. Why are my chicks not making it. All of them get to the last couple days and then die before hatching. This one made it the furthest.

Back
Top Bottom