Shy Rooster turned aggressive. Can I soften his attitude toward me?

arianna

Songster
12 Years
Sep 8, 2010
North Carolina
I have 7 bantams mix hens (7 months old) , 2 RIW (adult), and 3 RIR(adult) and one rooster (7 month). I raised most of the bantams since they where 1 week old. I use to have 6 rooster but few weeks ago I sold 5 of them. All the roosters got along very well and they had distinctive personalities. When I decided to get down to one rooster it was a hard choice. My bottom choice was between a red junglefowl, shy rooster, who always run away from me, but had pretty feathers and a beautiful singing (this one was also a survivor, he escaped my dog twice when he was only 2 months old by hiding both time under my side porch concrete step, 5 other bantams where not so lucky. I use to hold him often, kiss his head and talk to him because he was so shy and I thought he was traumatized. My second choice was a red bantam (the smallest one I had) black with red feathers, and a squeaky voice but he was the most dominant among my roosters, very gallant and protective with his hens (he actually was very distress when I introduced 4 new bantams hens and saw that they don't know how to get into the coop, also he was the only one who seem to care about the new arrival). I loved that rooster's personality but I decided to keep the pretty one with no personality.
Lately, my shy rooster became more brave and when I turned my back on him he actually attacked me. I don't have to have a rooster but I would like to keep him because he is very pretty and I like his morning craw.
I was wondering if roosters have the instinct to submit to an alpha male like dogs do. Should I be more firm and show that "I'm the boss" or should I be more gentle with him and try to pick him up more often and pet him. Would that help with him being less aggressive toward me? He's picking on me started after I brought in the adult 2 RIW and 3 RIR two weeks ago and have chase the new chicken more often to check them for eggs since they are layers.

67374_chicken_018.jpg

67374_chicken_004.jpg

This is my "not so shy" anymore rooster (I call him George)

67374_chicken_017.jpg

and here in the background was my little rooster with good personality (I used to call him Pinkie)

Last edited:
and have chase the new chicken more often to check them for eggs since they are layers.

You do know you can get the eggs out of the nestbox once they're laid, right? You don't have to get them straight outta the chicken.
lau.gif

Quote:
You do know you can get the eggs out of the nestbox once they're laid, right? You don't have to get them straight outta the chicken.
lau.gif

After the first few days I had to check the new chicken every morning because one of them was eating the eggs, an in order to find out witch one I had to learn witch one is going to have an egg for the day. I selected the layers and had them separated from the rest of the chicken. It worked. After a week I found that witch one is eating all my eggs.

I read a website about taming agressive Roos. They lady would hold them securely and then place her hand over his face bending his head downward into his chest, holding it till he settled and no longer attempted to look up when she released his face. I personally have done this with all my hens and my roo. Worked like a charm and I continue to do it every so oftern to remind him. He is 5-6 months old now and starting to show a bit of agressiveness to the hens to keep them in line I suppose, but does not attempt to be agressive toward me, my children or my dogs. He roams our fenced backyard all day with the 2 dogs and I am also out there working around. They have all been held extensively though since they were just fluff balls and I still hold them now and then to keep them tame. I pet them at night when they roost and on occasions I will go out and get my roo early in the morning when he starts to crow to hold him in my lap to let DH sleep in. The other morning he sat in my lap as I petted him for two hours till DH got up. They are not afraid and come right up to you. They eat with the dogs right out of their bowls while the dogs are eating (it's quite comical). I attribute their being unafraid to being held and also being around us daily. According to the website article, this method of taming roo's should work at any age, but preferrable sooner than later. You can find it under a simple Google search. Good luck and be blessed ;o)

Thank you all for your reply, it was very helpful. I love all my chicken and I'm am happy to hear that I can work with my rooster. It would be so hard for me to part with him. I grow with my chicken (this is the first time I ever had any chicken). All I know about chicken is what I read and the very few things I remember since I was a child ( my mother used to have few back yard chicken and ducks). When I started this I was thinking to save some money on organic eggs, but after the many hundreds of dollars spent on chicken coop, 30x15 ft covered fence, and food I realized that I'm not doing this for the eggs but I do it because I love this beautiful birds.

67374_chicken_091.jpg

67374_chicken_069.jpg

67374_chicken_028.jpg

67374_chicken_027.jpg

67374_chicken_099.jpg

Quote:
I know, I do regret now, but unfortunately I sold him at a poultry auction. I suppose this is my punishment for choosing beauty over good personality (always a bad choice
hmm.png
)

Thank you Yazzo, I took your advice today and I worked a little bit with my rooster. I bribed him with his favorite snack (spaghetti) and he behaved very well. I do believe he was attacking me because he taught I was hurting the hens, so today I didn't chased anyone and I showed the rooster that I'm not a threat nor scared but just part of the group. It worked. He was a lot more comfortable around me, and now that I know how to behave (myself) I do believe I can get him tamed.

Back
Top Bottom