Sicilian Buttercup sitting (went broody)... SURPRISE.

Chicken_Pauper

Songster
8 Years
Mar 8, 2011
Southern California
Well... after I found out that the one (rare) pullet I had was a Sicilian Buttercup, I looked up the breed. She started laying eggs about that time as well (a couple of months ago). She laid pretty much every single day, even though what I read was that they were only "fair" layers.. 2 a week? Now, I also read that they are NOT a broody type of chicken. Well.. not only is she an excellent layer, but she went broody today. I wasn't expecting it at all.
Now, since I don't have a Sicilian Buttercup roo... I put eggs under her from my standard best layers, to give her something to sit on, and maybe give me at least a couple replacement layers out of the six eggs. (The Buttercup spreads out nicely when sitting, and appears to be able to cover well the six (large) standard eggs, even though she is a small breed.)
So, she just started sitting today 10/4. She also doesn't "scream" at anyone getting close, as does the Cubalaya. But, both peck hands, ha!

i have a buttercup also. its just a pullet right now tho. i got her in a rare breed assortment from mypetchicken.com, i hope she lays like urs does, and i dnt mind if she wemt broody. i also read they dnt lay well and dnt go broody.

heres mine

103601_chicke_024.jpg

Quote:
I have two Buttercups and love them! Mine lay a lot, too. That is great that yours went broody! I really love it when they move their heads about and their crown combs shake. They look like little old ladies with big hats on.

They love to torment my alpha Nankin roo by going up higher on perches than him.

Last edited:
Stephanie1992 -- Here is a picture of my girl...

81994_img_1473.jpg

81994_img_1478.jpg

She has an even larger double cup comb now... she's a little fuller bodied now, too. I think I will take a picture of her on her nest and post it, it will be a good view of her "spread out" over the eggs, and easier to get her face as she is "trapped" on the nest, ha!

This one looks a lot like my girl now... http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGA/BCup/Buttercup.JPEG
And
, I hope yours lays as well as mine. Mine started laying at about 5 1/2 months old.

I am happy mine has gone broody... I am excited, even though they will be "foster chicks" for her.

Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom