sicilian buttercups!!!!!

Can't seem to find anyone online who raises them. Most are old threads, old dead links. I have two 23 week old hens that haven't laid yet. Because of the lack of breeders I'm seriously considering taking them on with my Andi's as well. I'm ordering from MMcMurray again. This time a cockerel and a couple more pullets.

This is my Sicilian Buttercup roo that I got as the free rare breed from McMurray Hatchery this Spring. We love him, he is very nice to his girls. He has never shown any aggressive behavior, thankfully.

He's gorgeous. Maybe I'll consider a second order. I originally was going to purchase more buttercups but then decided I needed to get more Andalusians mainly and cull.

Puddin. Go figure Roos, that's what I was wondering with how red he was changing to.

Last edited:
He's gorgeous. Maybe I'll consider a second order. I originally was going to purchase more buttercups but then decided I needed to get more Andalusians mainly and cull.

Puddin. Go figure Roos, that's what I was wondering with how red he was changing to.

He is absolutely beautiful, the picture doesn't do him justice. He is like three different shades of orange, then his black tail feathers.

Does anyone know about buttercup bantams? I just got a trio of them...I would post pics if I could figure out how,but I have never raised them,or even knew that they came in bantam size...I was really wondering specifically about breeding and housing them in New York...I know they need artificial heat(a heat lamp) because of their large combs/wattles/earlobes. But is there anything specific I should know?

@ccassidy18
Sorry as I don't have my first ones yet I'm not sure and therefore not much help. I think mine are the large fowl version but I haven't seen anything about them needing artificial heating at all. McMurray says they're "good" in the cold and "greatest" in the heat. I believe those were the actual terms they used. The only thing I have seen is making sure they don't get frostbite on their combs wattles and earlobes which I would assume would be the same as a straight comb. Applying a very thin layer of Vaseline to those areas I have read helps. As I live in WI I'm very interested in the answer you receive. And I hope someone can help us both out.

I love the look of them and everything ive read sounds great. The only thing I haven't seen spoken of is how they do with other chickens? Also just wanted to mention that besides how beautiful and unique they are on of the reasons I wanted them is that my DH2B lovingly calls me Buttercup :) A name I also had for a short time when I was a christian clown as a child.

I have heard that they do poor in winter...though I don't know if its true or not...also,I have searched for probably 5 hours for places that sell the banties and it is like finding a needle in a hay stack...ideal poultry is the only place I could find,though they are sold out for 2015
1f62d.png

It kind of boggles my mind that they would even breed them in 'bantam' size considering my hens don't even compare in size to my speckled Sussex, Andalusians, bsl's ect. Small birds, great egg layers. They've done fine in winter here and I live in central Michigan. I keep them mixed with all my hens and have had no issues. Only problems I find is the smaller breeds are a favorite of the big roosters. No fault of theirs though.

Awesome. Thank you for the info. I'm in south central WI and have set 19 Buttercup eggs if you're looking for more idk how many I'm going to be getting to hatch but we are only planning on keeping about three hens.

@PDPercherons

Back
Top Bottom