Sick 1 Wk Old Araucana Chick

NZHL

In the Brooder
Aug 21, 2021
Hi all.
I hatched 5 eggs a week ago and all chicks are in a brooder and have been happy until yesterday morning. I noticed one chick was not well and has since deteriorated significantly. The others are thriving fine.

It was first very lethargic, and now doesn't stand out hold it's wings properly. It has still been eating and drinking. I think it will die unfortunately, bit I'd really like to know why! They are on medicated food.

Photo below.
IMG_20210912_140436300.jpg
IMG_20210912_140430151.jpg

P.s they have had no contact with other birds and all equipment is clean and hasn't been used for other birds for years. Water changed daily.

This year, when we got our chicks, our little porcelain d’uccle chick, Cloud, the one I was most excited for, arrived fine but within 4 hours of arrival she seemed weak. She passed away that night. We did everything we could but nature took it’s course. Some chicks do just fail to thrive, it is unfortunate.

Has she been pooping? What does her little crop feel like? My June Bug started acting poorly between 1 and 2 weeks old - was more lethargic and wasn’t eating. I figured out she had gases building up in her crop - it was puffed up like a little balloon (in the end I think she swallowed some of her bedding and it caused a partial blockage).

I immediately separated her and stopped feeding her solid food (because I thought the food was just staying put and causing sour crop).

I syringe fed her NutriDrench and ACV. I also massaged the air out of her crop multiple times a day. I also fed her some olive oil via eyedropper to help get things moving, and swiped tiny bits of Monistat cream (for any yeast growing in her crop) a couple times a day.

Finally, I fed her chick grit after three or four days (because I had tried everything else and was getting advice from the awesome people here on this site).

Junie is now a healthy hen with no boundaries (because she got so much one on one attention for Mama Chicken when she was a Little :rolleyes:).

Anyway, IF your Little has a bloated crop, she might have a blockage somewhere. Hope this helps and hope she gets better! :love

The food is medicated for cocciosis so don't think it's that. Unfortunately this evening it was just too sick, laying on its side panting and eyes closed. It seemed best to finish it, and so I did.

I did notice a tiny amount of blood on the litter next to it's beak. Does that give any clues?

The others seem fine but I have cleaned out the water, food and litter just in case. Though they've been together until now, so hoping it's not catching.

The food is medicated for cocciosis so don't think it's that. Unfortunately this evening it was just too sick, laying on its side panting and eyes closed. It seemed best to finish it, and so I did.

I did notice a tiny amount of blood on the litter next to it's beak. Does that give any clues?

The others seem fine but I have cleaned out the water, food and litter just in case. Though they've been together until now, so hoping it's not catching.
Medicated feed does not prevent coccidiosis completely. I respect what you did though, the chick seemed too weak. 😕

Back
Top Bottom