Please advise: 4-wk old walking problem, leg issue

Jodi Keilman

Songster
5 Years
Jan 24, 2018
Glendale, AZ
- 4-wk old chick.
- Cross breed, potentially a Buff Orpington/Buff Brahma.
- I raised the hens who laid the eggs.
- Hatched 32 perfectly healthy chicks using an incubator.
- 2 days ago, I notice a chick on her back being walked on by the other 31 chicks. I put her back in her feet, but she’s not steady. She can dart this way or that, but her walk is not fully controlled. Next day, she’s on her back again. She isn’t able to get herself turned over & back in her feet. But if I do it for her, she’s good until it happens again. I have taken her & a calm sibling & placed back in the young brooder pen for a chance to rehab her.
- There has been no sickness on my land, no introduction of new poultry outside of the new hatchlings that came directly from my flock.
- I fed them medicated chick starter for their first 2 weeks.
- other than the walking issue, the chick seems otherwise fine. Eating, drinking, normal poops. Has energy.
- I added 2 photos. Wish I knew how to upload a video.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    592.9 KB · Views: 3
Videos must be uploaded and made public to YouTube or a similar site with a link posted here. Can you get some human B complex tablets, and crush 1/2 tablet in a spoonful of water or food, and give that to her daily? There are a number of leg issues, including slipped tendon, leg bone deformity such as varus or valgus that may affect one or both legs, and vitamin b2 riboflavin deficiency. Pictures of her standing front the front may help as well.

Videos must be uploaded and made public to YouTube or a similar site with a link posted here. Can you get some human B complex tablets, and crush 1/2 tablet in a spoonful of water or food, and give that to her daily? There are a number of leg issues, including slipped tendon, leg bone deformity such as varus or valgus that may affect one or both legs, and vitamin b2 riboflavin deficiency. Pictures of her standing front the front may help as well.
Video uploaded to YouTube

I uploaded video to YouTube & pasted above - hope it worked!
Yes, I grounded up my B Complex yesterday & sprinkled into her crumble. I think I’ll try a wet mash & do it again right now want to be sure she gets adequate dose.
Please let me know if you’re able to view the video. Curled toes is another obvious factor with her.

Back
Top Bottom