Sick 12 day old ducklings advice?

GaelicGardens

Hatching
7 Years
May 19, 2012
Ozark Mountains, AR
I just recently purchased 10 baby ducklings from a very reputable hatchery and they all seemed
very healthy until yesterday. One passed suddenly in the night and now 2 more are seemingly ill. One cannot walk. I did pay for Merrick's vaccines on them. They are eating manna pro non medicated chick/duck start, probiotics, and save a chick vitamins in water. They have a large brooder with light, 2 waterers, and a large chick feeder. I clean it all daily and change the water every couple hours at most so its never empty. They haven't been outside yet. This is my first set of ducklings have I missed something? Any ideas would be appreciated.. :( thanks in advance

Contact the hatchery, and if possible, could you snap a photo of the brooder setup? Everything sounds good, but someone else might be able to spot potential trouble, if it is environmental.

Any recent painting or other source of fumes? How's the ventilation?

Sad to read of your loss.

hugs.gif

Yea I can try to do that. And ill contact them and let them know :( there shouldn't be any fumes.. the brooders in my walk through closet its about 150+ sq ft almost a bedroom by itself and I have both doors open with an outgoing fan in one. Temp in there is about 88-90 .. pretty hot in Arkansas right now. I did call my vet but surprisingly she doesn't have experience with ducks:/

Yea I can try to do that. And ill contact them and let them know
sad.png
there shouldn't be any fumes.. the brooders in my walk through closet its about 150+ sq ft almost a bedroom by itself and I have both doors open with an outgoing fan in one. Temp in there is about 88-90 .. pretty hot in Arkansas right now. I did call my vet but surprisingly she doesn't have experience with ducks:/
90 seems like it could be too warm for the ducklings at 12 days old. What would the temperature be without the light? Do you have a thermometer in there? can you give them a lukewarm (80F) bath?

That's about what its been today with the light off.. it was pretty warm today. I had the light on yest cause it was only about 75. I have a thermostat back there and 88-90 is about the fluctuation today but I can put another fan in? Photos on the way!

How have they been acting? I cannot think of anything but overheating right now.

Is there a cooler, safe place for them? Did you say you had turned off the lamp?

They actually seem improved! So maybe your right.. the lamps were already off but I did add an extra fan and give them a bath also I added some electrolytes to the watet after you mentioned over heating. Earlier one Cayuga was really lethargic looking and he's playing around pretty normal now. The one welsh who wasn't walking is still a bit wobbly but moving around eating drinking again etc.. the rest seem perfectly fine, so I'm hopeful whatever was wrong something helped and its passing. I will continue w extra electrolytes for a couple days I think and just watch the temp more closely maybe. Fingers crossed. Thanks so much ill update if anything changes again
Maybe I panicked :b better safe though

Back
Top Bottom