Sick 2 yr old hen! Moping around, soft egg shell hanging out her butt!

ScrambledAcresFarm

Songster
11 Years
Aug 23, 2008
Caulfield, Missouri
I noticed my suppose to be 2 year old hen moping around with her tail down! I caught her, removed the very nasty, extra stinky, creamy poop from her fuzzy butt and pulled a empty soft egg shell from her butt! She's on dirt outside, eats egg ration and hen scratch, plenty of fresh, clean water and I don't know if she has ever laid before. I bought her and 2 other hens last October from a man down the road. He said she was 2 years old! I did the 3 finger test and couldn't even get 2 fingers between her bones! What to do! Is this what they call egg bound? All comments are appreciated! All suggestions will be tried!

Could be. Put her in a warm, safe place. I usually use a laundry basket, with a towel on the bottom, it can be covered with another towel or a blanket for additional "safe feelingness". Offer her extra nutritional food, cottage cheese, yogurt, canned corn, scrambled egg etc, beside her regular laying feed. Give her water with electrolites added. At this point, all you can do is wait and see what happens. Hopefully you removed the issue of her discomfort and she'll recover quickly.

Back
Top Bottom