Sick 3 month old chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Slothin, Aug 4, 2014.

1. Slothin

Slothin New Egg

Aug 4, 2014
    I went out to go check on my chickens and found one laying on its side with it's eyes closed and it trying to breath. I brought up to my house since none of my parents are home and it won't take any water or food. I am trying to give it water through one of the nipples, but it still won't take it. I took it away from the other hens because I didn't want them getting it since I have no idea what is going on and I don't want her dying or any of them dying in that fact. There was some diarrhea. Does anyone know what it could be, if so is there any way to make sure that my other hens won't die from 'it'. Please reply A.S.A.P

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
  2. hxgumdrop

hxgumdrop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    Bristol, England
    one of my chicks fell out of the nest box so i brought her in and placed her on a heated pad close to my tummy as she was shivering this seemed to perk her up. shes fully grown know and only sign of her earlier problems is that her legs havent grown as long as the others hense the name stubs! so could just be that she has hurt her legs and is in a bit of shock? is she sneezing? any gunk or anything around her bottom/eyes/beak?

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. Is she alert or lethargic? Do you have any vitamins or electrolytes for the chickens, such as Poultry Nutri-Drench or SaveAChick? If not, dissolve a tsp of sugar in a quart of water and try to give her some with a dropped or syringe. Don't give her fluids is she is not awake enough, or she may choke. Place her in a laundry basket, box, or dog cage with food and water, and let her rest. Do you think she may have been kept from her water or food? Is it hot there? Coccidiosis is common in chicks her age and under. Symptoms are sleepiness, weakness, puffing up, diarrhea, and not eating which can be from other illnesses. Treatment is Corid (amprollium,) or Sulmet if you can't get Corid. Do you know if she had a Mareks vaccine? I hope she gets better soon.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by