Sick 4 week old black copper maran rooster

Gunmama

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 10, 2012
McLoud, OK
I have a little guy that I found this afternoon all fluffed up and lethargic in the brooder. He has some feathers missing on the top of his wings. He drank a little of water with sav a chick in it a little bit ago. I haven't seen him poop yet so I can't give any info on that. He only seems content when I am holding him or when he is on my shoulder next to my cheek. He has never been one to be held so this is kinda unusual. Any ideas would be be appreciated.

Was hoping someone would be able to help by now, apparently not. He is still fluffed out and not fully alert. His stools have loosened up and he is eating now. So I guess I just have to wait and see if what I am doing now helps or not.

Was hoping someone would be able to help by now, apparently not. He is still fluffed out and not fully alert. His stools have loosened up and he is eating now. So I guess I just have to wait and see if what I am doing now helps or not.
Could he have been kept away form food and water by the other chicks, sounds like they may have been picking on him if he has lost some feathers on his wings is it bloody or raw looking? you should spray with Blue kote to protect from further damage if the other chicks are doing this. Sounds like your on the right track giving him fluids with electrolytes in it. Make sure to watch and see how the others are treating him, they can do some serious damage to one not feeling well.

He is isolated at the moment. I will go get some Blue Kote once hubby gets paid.
Good idea, and Blue kote is fairly inexpensive at TSC I think I paid 4.95 or 5.95 for a spray bottle and it last forever. Just in case you don't know, this stuff will make you and anything you are wearing purple so wear old clothes and gloves. I have Blue kote towels etc. to prove it. lol And spray outside in an area where you don't mind it getting purple if the spray gets on it. But it is awesome stuff for healing and disguising wounds. Some places carry it in a bottle with a dabber too.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom