Sick 4 week old chick!!!!

hershy5252

Chirping
May 7, 2015
Ohio
PLEASE HELP !!I had 20 chicks, 1 fell sick and didn't make it over night a couple weeks ago.. Then another got sick last week.. I treated with corid for 5 days. Started vitamin water yesterday. And now I have another sick one today. All Sick ones behave the same way . Lethargic, and body's get stiff. They cannot stand. Chick will drink a little and chirps loudly. But losing body function.. Head turned weird. Can anyone help? This sick chick is going to the bathroom but it was a pink tissue looking twice now. Can she be saved??? I have removed them from the others right away , and they fall sick fast.. I have been watching them closely...the rest so far seem well, but I thought that about her yesterday.

Last edited:
I have not had any responses to my sick 4 week old chicken. Is their a response some where? Do I need to click on something?

I have not had any responses to my sick 4 week old chicken. Is their a response some where? Do I need to click on something?
I'm sorry you are going through this. I am fairly new here and don't have much experience but was wondering if you treated ALL of the chicks with corid. I had a sick chick with similar symptoms (minus the stiff body/head) and was told that the pink tissue in the poo was shed intestinal lining from coccidiosis. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. I will do some research on my end and hopefully someone more experienced will come along in the meantime. Take care and God bless!

There's a place here on BYC titled The Great Big Giant Marek's Disease FAQ that is worth checking out. I mention this due to the comment that they can't stand and the head turned weird. It is a long article but it's broken down and easy/quick to navigate. It also mentions illnesses that mimic Marek's. Good luck. Sending thoughts and prayers your way

I'm sorry you are going through this. I am fairly new here and don't have much experience but was wondering if you treated ALL of the chicks with corid. I had a sick chick with similar symptoms (minus the stiff body/head) and was told that the pink tissue in the poo was shed intestinal lining from coccidiosis. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. I will do some research on my end and hopefully someone more experienced will come along in the meantime. Take care and God bless!
yes I treated them all and thank you for the help much appreciated!!

The sick chick is still hanging on. Not twisted up as the other 2. She is drinking off a spoon, not eating much, keep trying to give her scrambled eggs with a little chick food. Has anyone got back a sick chick that hasn't walked for over 24 hours? Am I prolonging the inevitably / or is their a chance? She hold her head up and a couple times I tried to stand her, she wants to walk, with me holding her belly.

It sounds like you have done all the right things by Seperating the sick, giving corid and administering vitamins. I know it's stressful but you are doing great. I do wish an old timer would chime in as I feel like we're the blind leading the blind but I hate to see you go this alone. I did do a bunch of research and kept coming up with Marek's but that doesn't mean it is. There are several vitamin deficiencies with the same symptoms in the article mentioned above. I am glad to hear your sick one is holding up. If I were in your shoes I would not give up. Is there any way you could take her to a vet or have a necropsy done on the one that passed? I would be willing to help with the bill if need be. Feel free to PM me if you need to. Hang in there!

Back
Top Bottom