Sick 4week old chick

ccall211

Hatching
7 Years
Jun 5, 2012
This is the first time that we, myself and my husband, have purchased/raised chickens. We bought 14 cornish, 5 rhode island reds and 5 black australorps from Tractor Supply. They are now 4 weeks old and are having an issue with one of the cornish hens. All the cornish hens are a decent, big, full size now but I have this one chicken who still looks like a one week old chick. His feathers are coming in, but his body size has not changed and his facial attributes aren't coming in like the rest. He breathes faster than normal and sometimes makes a clicking sound. I also noticed that his vent area has no feathers and his feces stick to the bare area. Sometimes his feces have a white color to it and don't know if that is good or bad. I have been cleaning the vent area everyday and have separated him from the rest of the chickens (has been 1 week separated from rest), but just do not know what is wrong with him or how to help him. It doesn't seem like he is getting better or worse. He eats and drinks fine. When I bring him out with the other chickens he just stands in one spot and really doesn't move compared to the rest. If someone can please recommend what to do or what is wrong with him I will greatly appreciate it.

Thank you

Cockerels don't feather as quickly as pullets. Or it could just be younger than the rest, just because it's the same breed doesn't mean it's the same hatch.

Back
Top Bottom