sick adult chicken

April's Chicken Ranch

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 11, 2011
Willow River BC
Hi there we had to euthanize one of my favourite birds today, she was fine or so I thought but I noitced her sitting her nest breathing heavy with her beak open & then when I picked her up she winced & uttered a small cry. I looked at her under belly & it was all wet, brownish in color when it is normally white she also had a rus yellow colored discharge from her rear area.Any idea;s what it could be? All my other girls are 100% but I'm scared it is something contagious & I'm going to have to cull them & that breaks my heart!

sound like she was egg bound. I have an old girl that has this regularly and a couple of drops of mineral oil down her throat for a couple of days and the egg pops out and she is find for a week or two and then one will get stuck and I will see the gooey rump and swollen nether regions. I am sure it will do her in one of these times. She will be going to freezer camp in July if she makes it that long.

Though you did the responsible thing. You should never risk the health of the whole flock to spare one hen with an unknown illness.

Back
Top Bottom