Sick and Dead Ducks, dont know why--please look at pictures

peter123

Hatching
5 Years
Jun 9, 2014

Had ducks last year that all died. We tried everything and eventually thought it was something in the barn. Assured by previous owner there was no poison, but maybe the leftover horse manure had mold or something? They held on for several weeks so botulism seems ruled out because its faster. But started hunching neck, eyes half closed, grew more tired and didnt move much. No other signs, vent fine, no eye discharge etc. They seemed to begin recovery after we moved them out of the barn, but not fully.

So this year we kept them out of the barn, but the same problem started about the same time. So we thought maybe since the spot was close to the barn there was the same stuff? So move far away from barn, but sick ones seemed to plateau, but then some super cold nights seemed to add to the situation and a few died. We also have a goose that has been with the ducks since we got them all as babies that seems to have a lame foot--like it hurts to walk on it, but there is nothing on the foot. The sick pekins have slowly gone downhill over 3-4 weeks. Tried epsom and charcoal, and havent seen any consistent progress, only a day or two randomly when they seem more perky then the previous day. There is only one khaki left from the 15 mix of rouens, pekins, and khakis we got originally this spring.

None of the typical diseases on forums seems to apply.

However I noticed this morning a weird discoloration on the pekin feet. There are some bright red veins on the webbing visible from the top, and brown spots on the bottom (pic attached--its not dirt). This one died with the "rattle" and bent his neck all the way back and kept his legs stuck out backwards as he lay.

We had hoped all would go well this year by being outside of the barn, but now we have no idea what the problem is.

Any ideas appreciated!

Last edited:
Tough one all around.
hugs.gif

Have you sent any of the bodies for a necropsy? That would be vital to finding the answer.

Yes I might. I don't know of a free service in Iowa, but I would hope somebody on this forum can give a hint or two!:)

What kind of feed are you using?If it's medicated it could be your issue. The feeds aren't always marked so you can easily see if it is. I would first check to make sure that it's not medicated.
Since you moved them and there's still issues, and your feed is non-medicated, it could be a vitamin deficiency? Maybe a deficiency that leads to poor circulation?
If you ordered them all from the same place I would call and ask if anyone else has reported issues. They may even be able to offer up some helpful advice

Necropsies need to be done very soon after the duck dies, and the body needs to be kept cool - not freezing - before being delivered to the lab. Ag schools, or universities with veterinary pathology labs may do the necropsy for no charge (because of the interest the state has in monitoring certain avian diseases).

Back
Top Bottom