sick and weak barred rock chick..........help?

mdc2be

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 30, 2010
Colt, AR
OK I have a weak chick, I noticed the other day when I moved them to a new brooder one not acting right. Off alone laying around alot. I got them about a two weeks ago so they look to be about 4 weeks old now. This chick looks now as if it cant support its own legs and head kinda droopy. When I found it in the brooder today it was all laid over on its side and looked as if it was gasping for breath. I scooped it up and went in the house. Its head kinda looked as if it had jello for a neck, eyes closed and head just bobbling around. Also noticed like it was burping up water or throwing it up, can chickens even do that?

So after several hours of laying on a blanket on the couch with me, eyes opening alittle more and breathing better. But it still seems as though it cant support itself. Legs tucked up under and head pulled in. Anyone had this happen before?

Any help would be great. Thanks

Rusty

I am sorry Rusty. There are a few things you can attempt, but will really have to hold out hope.

You can give it plain yogurt w/ crumbles mixed in, and get fluids in its system. I'm not a fan of antibiotics when you don't know the source of the problem, but it can't hurt to try that too! I don't want to be pessimistic, but hope for the best and plan for the worst. From the basics of what you've described I've had 2 chicks with similar symptoms...and after vigorous TLC...both died. I'm crossing my fingers for your little buddy.

hugs.gif

Use an Eye dropper and infant vitamin drops without Iron! Put some drops into the water and use the eye dropper to get fluids into your chick or it will die.

You can use yogurt and boild egg to try to get it kick started into eating right now anything is better than nothing. I got mine to survive by giving her some baby rice, also she never ate anything until I gave her some custard tart! Accidently left it down when I was not looking she ate it! I am not saying loads by the way as this stuff IS NOT GOOD FOR CHICKENS longterm. But a little tiny bit can kickstart them into eating again. Though please don;t get your hopes up. Sometimes a chick that fails to thrive will die no matter what you do. I have struggled with mine for the last 15 weeks and am still struggling to keep her alive. A weak chick may end up a weak hen !

Oesdog - good luck
hugs.gif

Quote:
Thanks at least that gives me a direction to go in. And I actually have some plain yogurt here. The chick seems alittle more perky chirping alittle but still not wanting to get up. So looks as though its going to be a long night at my house, good thing I dont have to work. Ill keep you updated. thanks again.

I just read on someones webpage they use cod liver oil on their weak chicks (one or two drops). I have not experienced using this, but again...anything may be worth a shot.

Quote:
Thanks oesdog. Everyday I fight death at work as a paramedic but its is funny how a little bird can make you scratch your head. So I will do all I can to help it.

Rusty

Quote:
That sounds so nasty but I agree with you its worth a shot. My large silly boxer is laying on the couch looking at the chick. Makes me laugh to see him act so calm and loving when as soon as I let him out, him and my female will tear across the yard rough housing.

Well after a night of sleeplessness I awoke this AM to find that my little chick didnt make it. Thanks all for the things to try.

Again thanks to all.

rusty

Back
Top Bottom