sick baby chicks

daisy17

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 5, 2013
Hi I live in Houston,Tx I'm raising old emglish game chicks..I took them outside yesterday since it was a great sunny hot day,this morning that I woke up I found 3 chicks not eating drinking water or moving,as of now I have one who just passed away,,,it breaks my heart so much,before it died it was having a seizure,I didn't know what to do so I just left it alone and went outiside so when I came back in it was dead... I have 21 chicks now ranging from 3 weeks to 1 week old,,,they are in a big wooded squar box,,3ft. 2½ft. They have access to water. And food 24/7,,I clean their bedding daily I clean out water dish 2-3 times a day,,I clean their food dish 2 times a day...I/my husband gave them tylan 50,but idk what to do..please help me...!!

Sorry for the long run-on paragraph/sentence

Hi I live in Houston,Tx I'm raising old emglish game chicks..I took them outside yesterday since it was a great sunny hot day,this morning that I woke up I found 3 chicks not eating drinking water or moving,as of now I have one who just passed away,,,it breaks my heart so much,before it died it was having a seizure,I didn't know what to do so I just left it alone and went outiside so when I came back in it was dead... I have 21 chicks now ranging from 3 weeks to 1 week old,,,they are in a big wooded squar box,,3ft. 2½ft. They have access to water. And food 24/7,,I clean their bedding daily I clean out water dish 2-3 times a day,,I clean their food dish 2 times a day...I/my husband gave them tylan 50,but idk what to do..please help me...!!

Sorry for the long run-on paragraph/sentence
Found you! Okay, we need some symptoms. Have you noticed anything...sneezing, coughing, nasty smell up near their heads? How about their poop? What does it look like? What is their feed? Shavings or other bedding? Is it possible that they could have eaten something they shouldn't have? Has the ground they were on been treated with pesticides or any kind of herbicide for weeds?

No symptoms they have been ver energetic up until yesterday morning that the 3 weren't doing well,2 of those 3 died and today another chick right now has a foamy saliva in the mouth,its having a believe a seisure,there bedding is hay,I'm feeding them medicaided feed "Bluebonnet Feeds" I have them inside my house.

I'd try a change in feed if you can get something else as well. How about sneezing and stuff? Any of that? You may need an antibiotic in their water, like Duramycin-10. TS carries it. I really don't like the sound of the seizer symptom. Please give all of the info you can and seriously change the feed! Don't know if you can get Purina or Blue Seal, but there are problems with some of the feeds and the right ones can cause seizers and death quickly.

No sneezing,nothing at all,2 more chicks have died,sorry haven't been able to upload picture,but when the were outside they were running around in there chicken coop/run,yes the ground has been treated for pesticides.

Hyes they had shade when they went outside,they enjoyed the out doors very much that day

No sneezing,nothing at all,2 more chicks have died,sorry haven't been able to upload picture,but when the were outside they were running around in there chicken coop/run,yes the ground has been treated for pesticides.
Was the ground in their run treated and if so with what? It's possible they are being poisoned. If you can keep them off the ground for a bit and get the info on what was used as a pesticide. This would be needed to figure out what they need now to reverse this.

One more thing....if you can get some food grade activated charcoal, pharmacy will have it, follow the dosing label and mix with water, then run it through a blender. Give it to the chicks to drink. If this is poisoning, this should help clear their system of whatever it is. This would explain the siezures you've been seeing.

Last edited:
I don't remember the brand of the product we used but I know that is was safe to use around chickens...as of now 7 chicks have died and 2 others are having seizures..i

Back
Top Bottom